56. those who arrive survive

 those who arrive survive

QUINN

     CAREFULLY SHE REACHED OUT AND WIPED the blood of her knuckles, wincing each time the cloth touched the cuts but she had to clean it, or else it could get infected.

A shadow fell over her, making her look up. Daryl stood next to her, having come back from dragging the men's boddies into the forest, out of sight. Without saying a word he moved to sit on the ground next to her but she stopped him at the last second.

'I'm fine,' she whispered, her voice hoarse.

He didn't believe it, of course he didn't but she didn't care. She nodded at Rick who sat leaning against the car, completely covered in blood. Michonne had taken Carl inside the vehicle to rest but also get him away from the sight of his father. Rick seemed to be numb, sitting there, staring into nothingness with blood all over his face and hands.

'Go help him,' she whispered, handing Daryl the piece of cloth. He seemed to be doubting and she gave him a little nudge. 'He needs it more than I do.'

Upon hearing those words a sudden anger crossed his face as he turned to her. 'Ya were almost-' he cut himself off, seeming unable to finish that sentence. But that wasn't all he was worried about. She could see it in his eyes. Behind the anger, behind the worry ran something much deeper...She killed someone and he knew she couldn't possibly be okay after something like that.

She had killed people before, in Woodbury when they were trying to escape but that was different. That was in the heat of the fight, in a moment of high adrenaline and she could barely even recall it.

This was different.

Quinn had stared into the man his eyes as all the life left his body. She had felt his body going limp beneath her as her dagger was pushed into his skull.

She wasn't okay, far from infact, but her feelings didn't matter at the moment. Rick was even further gone, having fallen back into the pit he had spend months trying to climb out of. All his hard work to forgive himself, to grief for his wife, all the possible innocence he had tried to reclaim, all gone. In a matter of hours.