Changes

Aki kept on checking his watch, so much that it was driving Jun insane. And he was now doing it now after ten seconds of checking it earlier. He side-eyed his friend, hoping that his stare would be enough signal for Aki to stop obsessing with time.

Of course, he did not notice.

When he was not busy with his watch, he was a diligent student which made sense. After months of non-stop partying, the effects started to show. He needed to salvage his grades if he wanted the scholarship. But he showed that he was changing for the better.

It was impossible to ignore the changes from Aki. These past few days, other than checking the time, he was fussing with his notes and books. He was the very model of a perfect student. Right now, he pushed his glasses up and scribbled on his notebook. Jun shrugged and tried to refocus on the lecture but stopped when Aki's other hand slipped on the side to check his mobile.

But Aki was everything but normal lately.

As far as he knew his friend, Aki was someone you had to remind to check his phone. But lately, along with all the new habits he got, the most notable of all was his sudden love for his cellphone which he normally ignored. He hated texting but not as much as his hatred for calls. Jun used to tease him about it. Yet now, Aki even texted during class, his phone hidden under the desk, his fingers tapping furiously.

'That was interesting.' A grin played at the corner of Jun's lips.

Their professor wrapped up his lecture and exited. Jun had no other lectures for the day nor any part-time jobs. As far as he knew, Aki was the same. Good time to visit the library. His friend needed some studying too.

"Hey, let's go to the libra-," Jun let his raised eyebrow continue his question.

Aki was already in the middle of packing -- chucking his things to his bag, ready to bolt. That was part of his new habit too. Bolting, not walking, not running. Bolting. As if he was so hot to be away from the hall. As if someone was waiting for him.

His friend looked up, apologetic. "Sorry Jun, I'm... a little busy."

The pause was suspicious. Jun's eyebrow remained arch and narrowed his eyes for full effect. "You're not going partying again, are you? Remember your scholarship..."

"I know! Don't worry I'm studying!" Aki checked his phone again. This time, he did not suppress his smile like when he checked his phone earlier during class.

"You're going on a date," Jun stated. He smirked as an answer to his friend's blush.

"What!? No! I told you I'm studying."

Too high-pitched. Aki was not made for lying. His expressions betrayed him.

"I'm going," Aki shouted and soon he was out of the hall, too fast for Jun to reply to him.

Jun could only watch the retreating figure of his friend. Maybe suggesting that place was not a bad idea. Maybe this would work. Maybe. But still, he could not help but wonder...

Could he really be studying at home?