Drew (2)

Aki tried to hide the fact that he almost choked with those sudden words from the other guy and put on an indifferent face. "You mean, liked." He shrugged as he ate his pudding with gusto.

Drew rested his eyes on Aki's pudding. "I'm sorry I didn't say anything."

A minuted lasted before Aki replied. "Look, I'm not sure what you're getting at." He brought down his cup with a thumped and stared directly at Drew's eyes as if challenging him. Was Drew trying to flaunt his relationship at 'him'? Was this his subtle way of saying fuck off and avoid his boyfriend? Because heaven knows that that was what he was doing. And so far, he had been doing a good job at that.

Drew pressed his lips and avoided Aki's gaze. He still looked cool and unperturbed. "I always knew you like--liked--him. That's why I tried to stay away." He drew a long breath before he spoke again. "But it's hard."

Aki nodded, not because he agreed but just so he had something to do. And perhaps, a tiny part of him hoped, that gesture might make him look unconcerned.

"I thought it would go away when we all become friends. But the more time I spent with him..."

"Alright. I get it. I don't want to be rude to you Drew but if you want me to concede, I'm letting you know that I'm not in the way of your relationship." Aki put up his hands. "I'm not a rival okay?" He stood up. There was no point in talking about this. Couldn't he leave Aki to lick his own wounds?

Drew made a movement that seemed like he would grab Aki's arm to make him stay. But he did not continue, his hand frozen awkwardly in between them. "No, wait. That's not--I'm sorry, I'm not good at this," he gestured at the two of them.

Aki realized that Drew meant that he was not good at speaking out his thoughts. Drew was not the most expressive person he knew.

"What I wanted to say is, I didn't want to be with Zy before because I wanted to keep you as a friend. And now that we are together, I feel like I caused a rift between you and Zy, and you and me. I--" Drew rubbed his palm over his eyes a couple of times. "I still want to be your friend...if that's okay."

Aki sat on his chair unmoving. He was so gung ho with Zy that he forgot that Drew was also his friend. He was touched to hear something like wanting to be his friend. He never thought that Drew valued him as one.

It was not as if he did not like Drew. Aki, as much as he hated to admit it before, liked how Drew was their voice of reason. And now that he was being made to think about their friendship, he realized that the other guy was always there for him, offering silent support.

"I--I--" He started and could not find the next words. So he tried again. "Well, you already know how I felt about Zy. As I've said, I'm not your rival. Never was. And don't feel guilty about anything. I'm in the process of moving on, I think. Of course, I still want to be friends with you two. Though I guess I don't mind having a drink with you alone."

They both snorted at that, knowing full well that Zy would throw a tantrum if he knew their plan then it would not be just the two of them drinking.

"After exams," Drew said sternly. "You're not going to touch any alcoholic drink this week.

Aki clicked his tongue but afterward, smirked at his friend.