Photograph (3) - Liam

Liam checked his phone for what felt like the hundredth time already. He texted Aki, asking what he wanted to eat for dinner so that Liam would dart to the nearest supermarket before going home, but Aki had not replied.

In fact, there was nothing from Aki since lunch. Not a single text.

"Liam, are you done?" Jay opened the door to the locker room and slipped in.

"Yeah. I'll change then head out."

"Thanks, man. I know it's a busy day, and I had to be late during the delivery." Jay scratched the back of his head and smiled sheepishly.

Liam clapped him on the shoulder. "Don't worry about it. What?" he asked when he noticed the grin on his workmate's face.

"Nothing. It's just," he gave him a lopsided smile, "love does wonder to a person huh? You're, uh, glowing."

Liam felt himself blush. "W-what?"

Jay roared with laughter. "Man, it's fine. We all know. Now off you go to your love nest. And thanks again, I owe you." He left, still cackling.

"Love--?!" He spluttered.

Liam checked his look in the mirror and fixed his damp hair, then looked at the rest of his body. After a day of running around the university and dealing with the stock delivery of the cafe, he seemed so haggard that he borrowed Mia's shower, from her apartment upstairs, to look presentable before going home.

He flushed when he realized what he was doing. This was what Jay meant. He awkwardly turned away from the mirror, grabbed his things, and dashed out before anyone saw him.

It may be petty and vain, but he relished at that look of appreciation that crosses his boyfriend's face, especially if Liam's freshly showered. He was glad that Aki found him appealing in 'that' sense too.

On the way out, he fished his phone from his pocket, hoping for a reply or anything from Aki. Nothing still.

He wanted to call, but Aki did not like it. And if Aki was ignoring his phone, like most of the time, he was more likely to ignore his call too.

'What made him busy? I thought he would be relaxing.' He sighed. He wanted to see Aki so bad. Aki was careful not to let his grades slip again, pushing himself to the limit. Today should have been their rest day together, and Liam was looking forward to that.

But he promised to make it up to his boyfriend so he went to the supermarket and bought ingredients. He wanted to cook Aki's favorite braised beef noodles and coffee jelly. He also bought some dimsum and mantao. He would give Aki the feast he deserved after working hard. Liam smiled, eager to get home.

His smile was wiped away from his face when he opened the door to their apartment. A sense of foreboding came over him as he stared inside the empty place. It was quiet. Eerily quiet.

"Aki?" He called out carefully, his eyes darted around, searching. It was dark inside. Could he have left?

With a frown, Liam checked the usual spots where Aki lazed around. The living room was empty. So as both of their rooms. That leaves one more place.

The storage room was slightly open.

His throat felt dry as his chest thudded. He allowed Aki inside the storage room before, but it still worried him to think of Aki wandering freely inside. He was fine with Aki touching his things, but there were some things in the room that he would rather keep it a secret. Liam did not even want to think about how Aki would react if he knew of those things.

"Aki?" He called again. Fear gripped him even more as he silently crept inside the storage room. For some reason, he felt like he needed to be discreet, like a thief in a heist.

His eyes immediately went straight to a particular corner of the room... and his heart dropped to the floor. His paintings were uncovered. Aki's failed portraits, among other things related to him, were there in all of their full glory.

He sucked in his breath as though that could calm his heart as he searched for Aki. He found his boyfriend huddled in his favorite spot beside the window, asleep. In front of him, was an open photo album.

'Oh dear. Oh no. Not that.'

His hands felt cold and clammy. He was afraid to take a step closer even when Aki started stirring. He looked up at Liam, staring until his eyes adjusted.

"Oh, good you're here." Aki yawned and did not take notice that Liam stood like a statue. "Explain this."

Aki showed the photo in his hand, and Liam wanted the earth to swallow him right then and there.