Little Princess (1)

"What do you mean I can't use this table?"

"Ma'am, this table is already reserved. If you want, this table is available." Aki pointed to the table directly next to the decorated one that he arranged with painstaking detail together with the other customer. The young man excused himself first to get ready so Aki was left to do the finishing touches.

He had just finished when this new customer, a young lady, which Aki guessed to be a college student came marching in. Even if he was only a few days in to this cafe, he was already familiar with some of the faces. This customer, dubbed as Little Princess by the other staff, was one of the regulars. Aki had never served her before because she was always requesting for Liam as her server.

"And as I've said, I want this table!" She emphasized every word she said.

As Aki learned to his short experience, this was usually a dead hour in the cafe. This was like a breather to them before the dinner rush. So there were a lot of free tables available and the store had a handful of customers at the moment. So he really did not understand why she would insist on that particular table.

Well, but if he had to guess... with the way she twirled her big curls and dusted the invisible lints on her fancy floral black dress, it became quite obvious for Aki that she wanted that table because it matched her clothes. Her dress would stand out with that beautiful table in a picture she could post in the social media.

The young man brought red and pink decorations because that was his favorite color and so as his girlfriend. Apparently, they were not the only customer today who liked those colors.

"Did you hear me? I want this! You're new here, aren't you? So you probably didn't know but I'm a regular."

Aki barely opened his mouth when she brushed her fringe off her forehead in a dismissive way. "Gosh, why did they hire dumb staff here," she said to herself but loud enough for the entire cafe to hear. Aki's cheeks reddened. "Call the manager!"

His chest constricted and it was difficult to breathe. But despite the clammy feeling washing all over him, he set his jaw and willed himself to maintain a polite and amiable face. It was work to do that. He did not trust himself to speak for his voice might break and this customer might see it as a small victory. Worst was, if she hurled negative words, then it might reflect poorly for the cafe. Aki did not want to bring that kind of problem to Mia and Liam and to the rest of the staff of Lava Java. So he could only keep his poker face despite the raging emotions inside him.

"That's me, I'm the manager." Before Aki could react, he found Mia beside him, offering her a polite smile. She put up a hand before the customer could go on her barrage of words. "And I heard your concern from all over the counter." Mia waved her hand to the direction of the counter. Aki could see Liam, Alex, and Jay with a hard stare on their faces.

Mia continued. "I'm so sorry ma'am but another customer reserved this one a week ago. And as you can see, it is decorated according to his liking. I see that the table next to it is not up to your liking either. How about our couches over--"

When they heard couches, Aki and Liam rushed to fix a table right away. Alex even handed them some pink napkins for decoration that might ease the customer's temper. But they all jerked their heads when they heard a high-pitched voice back at Mia's direction.

"Gosh are you all deaf!? I said I. Want. This. Table! You! What's your name? You too!" She raised her finger and pointed at Mia and Aki. Her face wavered slightly when her eyes caught Liam standing beside Aki. "I'm going to report you to your head office or something!"

Mia beckoned Aki to come over. When he was standing beside her, she pointed at their name badges. "Make sure to spell our names correctly. People tend to misspell them even if they're only three letters long."

The young lady left in an angry huff and Aki felt like a huge dark aura was lifted.