Stay the night (1)

"We're going now," Aki told Rina. Her friends have gone ahead of them and Aki wanted to go home too.

Rina glowered at him as if he said the most stupid thing in the world. Granted she had been in that prickly mood ever since she saw her brother talking with Noah and Aki not spilling what they talked about despite her threats of not telling him what she talked about with Liam angered her more. "You could stay at home you know. Our house is just two blocks away."

"Liam has classes tomorrow."

"What time is your class?" Rina asked Liam.

The other guy tilted his head to the side as he thought. "In the afternoon."

"Plenty of time then. You could go home in the morning. If you stay the night at our house, I can show you Aki's baby pictures."

Liam looked like he was handed a gift. "Alright."

Aki could only sigh as he looked at the two of them. Liam and Rina talked at each other on the way to their house with Aki as their listener when Aki felt a light touch on his hand. He gulped, subtly glancing at the space between him and Liam. Every time their hands brushed, Liam's hand would linger a bit, caressing Aki's pinky finger. That light feeling on his skin made his heart race.

Rina tried to invite Aki into their conversation but his mind kept on going back to their barely touching hands. Aki would consciously bring his hand closer to Liam's, doing the same thing and praying that they would not arrive at their house yet.

But they arrived too soon. Aki's shoulders slumped at the sight of his parents' house then felt guilty for feeling like that. His mood lifted when he glanced to his side and saw that same disappointment written all over Liam's face. He bumped Liam by the shoulder suppressing his grin, "Let's go?"

His parents were surprised to see Aki but they were even more surprised to see Liam. Her mother, in particular, doted on his roommate. Before Aki knew it, they were already bonding over recipes of coffee jellies.

After dinner, the three of them scrambled to Aki's room with Rina holding their old photo album.

Aki eyed it nervously. "You're really doing it huh?"

Rina paid him no mind, sitting cross-legged on the floor and guffawed at the first picture she saw. "Look, Liam! This is Aki when he used to play naked in the rain!" she said as she pointed a picture to Liam beside her.

"Hey!" Aki tried to snatch the album but his hands were swatted by the two as if they were shoo-ing an insect.

Scowling, he left the two who were enjoying Aki's dark past as he crossed the room to open the door to the balcony. The night breeze felt good on his face. He was relishing the feeling of it when he saw people moving inside the house across theirs.

"I thought Zy's parents went on a vacation?" He asked over his shoulder.

Rina did not lift her head when she answered. "They came back yesterday... I think."

"That's Zy's house?" Liam asked.

"Yep. Oh! This is Aki's first birthday! He was so cute, right? I wonder what happened to him." Rina snickered that made Aki turned sharply at her remark.

"Shut up and go to sleep," he intended for a sharp tone but he found himself smiling at his sister.