Hill (1)

Aki and Zy followed Liam to the hill. But every now and then Liam would stop by to take pictures of anything that caught his fancy. Aki remembered his roommate saying that he would take new photos to practice with his new camera.

Liam was completely immersed in his own little world, and Aki loved seeing the other guy like this. He loved seeing those brows drawn together, eyes full of intensity, and lips pressed into a thin line. It was as if nothing and no one could break his focus. Aki wondered how it would feel to be on the receiving end of that intense stare.

Their walk took longer than necessary due to the pace Liam set. Unable to bear it any more, Zy asked for directions and dashed to the place immediately without waiting for the other two. Aki did not mind this pace, though. By walking slowly, he was able to enjoy both the view and Liam.

As they climbed the stairs, Aki marveled at the lush greenery around them. For a moment, he forgot all of his worries. The fresh air seemed to clear his mind.

They passed by several houses along the way. When its residents noticed Liam, they would wave and greet his roommate. Some exchanged small talks with the two of them. Others even invited them inside their house for a snack, but his roommate declined all of them.

As they reached the top, they found Zy looking out at the great expanse of the town below them. But the other person beside Zy caught Aki's attention. She seemed to be absorbed into whatever she was painting.

Aki already knew who she was even before she turned around. Liam paused beside Aki, which was more than enough confirmation. All the small happiness Aki felt earlier drained away.

Zy came rushing to them, his eyes sparkled in excitement. "This spot is amazing! You can see the whole town from here!"

But Aki could not share his friend's enjoyment. At that moment, she turned around, and Aki watched as her face broke into a smile. She jumped up, her eyes transfixed at Liam. She could not see anything else beyond him.

"Liam!" She jogged towards them without sparing Aki or Zy any glance. "I thought you wouldn't come!"

"I told you I would." Liam tried putting on a small smile, and Aki noticed how awkward that smile was. It was not Liam's usual smile. But it still widened her smile all the same.

Aki could feel that he had the opposite look on his face. He cleared his throat loudly.

Liam glanced at him as if he had just noticed Aki there. "Oh right. Nancy, this is Aki and Zy. Aki, Zy, this is Nancy."

"Nice to meet you," Aki said, his tone flat and bland. He nodded at Nancy because his facial muscles seemed to have tightened around his mouth.

She spared them a single glance before returning her full attention to Liam. Aki's eyebrows almost reached his hairline when she lunged and tugged at Liam's arm.

"I want to hear your thoughts. You see, I'm trying out a different style," she continued to prattle on, dragging Liam back to her canvas.