Rina (2)

Rina toyed with the fork in her hand as she leaned back. "You know, I hate hearing that. It's like I'm in a confession room full of adults hovering above me, waiting for me to confess my wrongdoings."

He could tell that his sister was whining and babbling about random things. This was her delaying tactic. She usually do this when something was worrying her and she could not get her thoughts straight. It used to frustrate Aki. He would rather hear what needed to be said directly than this kind of roundabout way. But he learned and he waited until she was ready to spill.

After a while, she spoke again. "I told you I was close to the cafe right? I was supposed to meet someone at the bridge near the train station. That's where he normally leaves his bike. I'm supposed to meet him and--and tell him how I feel." The last words were spoken in a small voice that Aki had to lean closer to hear her.

"He didn't come?" Aki tried to keep his voice flat.

"Noah didn't know what I'm going to say. I just told him that we'd go home together. He--he came."

"But?" Aki etched the name Noah in his head. He would wring this guy's neck once they meet.

"But... he was with a girl. She was clinging to his arm and laughing. So I...just hid."

"And run over here? What if she's a relative or something?"

"She's someone from our year." Rina poked at her cake then sighed. "It's fine. Let's stop thinking about sad things and binge eat!" She raised her hand to call the attention of the waiter.

Aki opened his mouth to speak but the waiter came over and distracted him. He perked up then cursed himself for being so obvious but at the same time, he could not stop himself from smiling especially when his smile was returned. He crossed his fingers that Rina would not notice anything at all.

Rina ordered a strawberry shake and Liam noted it. He then turned to Aki. "How about you Aki?"

Aki glanced quickly at Liam then shook his head. "I'm fine..."

"What's wrong with you?" Rina asked when Liam left, scrunching her nose as she watched her brother acting demure.

What was wrong was that his heart was pounding so loud and so fast! When did he get so conscious around Liam?

"But your workmate is so handsome! Totally your type." Rina smirked when she saw her brother gaping.

"He's not!" Oh god, he did not squeal just now, did he?

Rina continued smirking at him that he decided to ignore her again. After a moment, Liam came back with a full tray. Aki only recognized Rina's shake. For a brief moment, it crossed Aki's mind that Liam must be busy with all those plates to deliver to other tables. He even thought about telling his roommate that he would do their dinner later. To his surprise, Liam placed a plate with clubhouse sandwich on it and a chocolate shake in front of Aki.

"You must be hungry after your shift," Liam said.

Aki pursed his lips. "Did you make this?"

Liam only smiled and was about to leave when Rina kicked Aki's leg under the table. Aki got the signal right away.

"By the way, Rina this is Liam. Liam, my sister Rina."

After they exchange their pleasantries, Liam left and Rina was left gaping at his back.

"Close your mouth. You're embarrassing me," Aki said.

Rina snapped out of it, then turned her sharp gaze at Aki. "What do you mean he made you a sandwich? As in, he personally made it for you?"

"Yes, you have a problem with that?" Aki snickered as he ate his sandwich.