History repeats itself

"And don't apologize to me. I'm not angry," Liam said.

He felt the muscles on Aki's body tensed. Aki mumbled against Liam's chest. "Liar."

Liam fought the urge to pinch the other's cheeks. He did not know how long will his self-control last at this rate. He was not sure how much of tonight would Aki remember but he did not seem like he would also let go of Liam. Liam could only answer honestly.

"I'm not. I should be the one to say sorry and not you."

"Why?"

"Because as you said, I don't know anything but I acted as if I do. I only wanted you to treasure yourself more," Liam said patiently. "Anyway, we should talk about this once you're sober. Come on, you should rest."

Liam helped Aki to get comfortable in the bed. Once Aki's all tucked in, Liam prepared to leave. As he was leaving, the hems of his clothes were grasped tightly. Again.

"Where are you going?" Aki asked.

"To my room?"

"Why?"

"To sleep?"

"You said, you won't leave."

"Right." Liam sat down once again and rubbed Aki's clenched fist.

"Sleep here." Aki's other hand patted the empty side of his bed.

The hand that held Aki's froze. Liam stared blankly at Aki trying to process what he had just heard. Aki wanted to sleep... with him... in the same bed.

He mentally kicked himself. 'You're just sleeping. Don't get other ideas. But isn't this like...'

Liam should have known by way of Aki's look or the tug at his shirt or the way Aki desperately clung to him. It was like that night when Liam found Aki drowning his sorrows with the beer.

Seeing his apprehension, Aki tugged at his clothes again. "Please?"

Liam sighed and cursed inwardly. He would never win against Aki. "Fine."

Aki grinned. A part of Liam told him that this was a bad idea. That he should never let himself get too close or he would burn. 'Just this once.'

"Uh, you should change your short first. What happened to this even? It's quite damp," Liam said.

"Beeeer," Aki responded, already snuggled comfortably on the bed but followed Liam and stripped his shorts.

Liam went to Aki's closet and grabbed the first comfortable-looking pants he saw. He turned around and saw Aki tugging his shirt over his head. Liam's heart almost stopped at the sight of the almost-naked Aki.

He forgot about this part. Aki also did this before. He could not stop himself from asking even though he already knew the answer, "What are you doing?"

"Hot." Aki flung his shirt across the room as if the very sight of it annoyed him. He then reached for his boxers and Liam was beside him in no time, snatching his wrist away.

"No! I'm begging you." Liam heard the desperation in his voice. He wrapped Aki using the covers and laid down a big pillow between them. Aki stared at him, his eyes asking why he was putting it between them.

"To be safe."

Safe from what, Liam could not tell. Yet despite the barrier, it did not stop Liam from turning to his side and watch Aki sleep. He did the same thing back then, contented to be at the same space with Aki.

'Are you like this with him too? Did you drink because of him again?'

How long was it when he first saw Aki and how he was never able to take his eyes off of him ever since. But he doubted Aki even notice him at all.

'As long as he's okay...' Liam would be okay too. He would be happy with this, not too close yet not too far.