I'm seeing red (2)

Since they started talking and hanging out outside their apartment, they were usually going home together. And Aki would have loved it today too if not for the gazes they were receiving.

Liam's cohorts formed a semi-circle behind them. And now, they watched their exchange with a visible displease on their faces. Some were surprised. Others were intrigued. But it only made Aki conscious that he kept on peeking over Liam's shoulders. Maybe going home together might not be a good idea after all.

"So the one you're waiting for is him?" A girl with red highlights asked Liam, her voice dripping with venom when she said 'him.'

Aki stiffened hearing her remark. He stared at her and bits of memories flashed before of him -- the confession at the back of the building, the afternoon study sessions at the library, those red highlights floating around Liam in all of them.

"Yeah," Liam said. "Guys, this is Aki. Aki, these are my friends," and Liam proceeded to mention their names but only one stood up. Karen. The girl with the red highlights. Liam then turned back to Aki. "Let's go?"

Aki nodded, trying his best to avoid looking at the direction of the group. But it was impossible when Karen stood in front of them, shooting ice glares at him.

She smiled and asked in a sweet tone, "You should hang out with us more Liam. What would you do if there are more rumors about you two being together?"

Liam tilted his head to one side and glanced at Aki. "So what if we do?"

There was a collective gasp from the girls, while the guys hooted and whistled. Aki was stupefied. Liam remained nonplussed.

"W-what!? Are you also saying that the rumor that the two of you are living together is true!?" Karen asked, aghast.

The corners of Liam's mouth curved a bit, just a tiny lift, not betraying any hint of emotion though Aki could see in his eyes that he looked amused. There was something cheeky and boyish in his look that Aki could not help but mirror Liam's reaction.

Liam barely mentioned anything about himself. He was always attentive to other people without really giving much about him. So when Aki found a small crack, a slight glimpse of what he thought, Aki could not help but watch and guess what was underneath the handsome face.

"Maybe?" Liam shrugged. He winked at Aki before chuckling. Liam turned on his heels as he waved at his friends. Others waved back. Karen crossed her arms over her chest, still glaring at Aki.

Aki followed Liam as they walked away from the group. But he could not help but look back. Karen's red highlights stood out in contrast to her pale skin. Her hair made her look like someone flaring from anger like the ones from anime which probably was not far from the truth. Then, it hit Aki and saw what Karen was seeing in front of her -- a guy who had bad timing and who kept on snatching Liam away from her. Aki knew that feeling too well and thinking that he was the one doing it to another person did not sit well on him.