The King's Game (1)

Today was the day of the party.

Mia could not help but rub her hands together with a smirk playing on her lips as if she was a villainess in a story. She enjoyed putting together something like this. So much that she even had a notebook where she listed everything they would need down to the smallest detail.

"Aki do you have a class after your shift?" She called out to Aki who came to the counter to place his customer's orders as she tapped her pen on her notebook. When Aki shook his head, Mia continued, "Then will you buy our drinks later? Drinks as in booze, okay? Ah, but they would be too heavy for one... then bring Liam with you."

The bells over the door chimed, a way for the staff to know there was a new customer. It was Mia who looked up first and then she sneered in her heart. "Speaking of the devil."

Aki did not seem to hear her and abruptly turned, eager to get the customer's order, only to trip on his feet. Whether it was because of the customer or something else entirely, Mia was not sure. Though she suspected it was the former.

The new customer namely Liam was quick to his feet and he was right by Aki's side in no time, supporting the other guy. Mia fought the urge to roll her eyes and kept her business-smile plastered on. 'Wow cliche.'

"Are you okay?" Liam muttered, one of his arms was wrapped around Aki's shoulder while the other held Aki's arm.

Her cousin was not even hiding his concern and protectiveness over the other guy.

"I'm okay, uhm, sir." Despite his flushed face that started from the tips of his ears down to the neck, Aki attempted to joke, casting a shy but mischievous look at Liam, which the other returned with an equally amused gaze.

"Flirting with the staff during work hours is not allowed, Sir," she glared at Liam which her cousin answered with another glare. "Aki, why don't you take our guest to his seat first?"

Mia watched as the two went to a seat and Aki ordered. Maybe he had not realized it himself, but Aki's eyes kept on coming back at Liam. 'This one is a lost cause too.' Maybe he was like Liam...

These two oozed with a different aura around them that most people would catch up on except the people involved. As if looking for proof, she swiped a glance around the cafe and saw some female guests secretly looking over at the two. Some huddled giggling and silently squealing.

"See?" she said to no one.

When Liam's order came, it was Mia who delivered it to his cousin's table. "Here's your order 'Sir,'" she watched in amusement as Liam's smile disappeared and was replaced with a frown. "Why did you even have to come in the front door when you could have entered at the back and then eat whatever you want? Do you really want to be served that much?"

"Why not? I felt like it. I'm going to pay, don't worry," Liam said.

"You better be," Mia said, a corner of her mouth twitched. 'Can't you just admit that you liked watching Aki?'

Mia was surprised when she learned that Liam pined for Aki. It was not as if she never thought that Liam would like a guy. She never thought he would like anyone at all after his disastrous first love. When one day, Liam came in with that 'I'm on cloud nine' look on his face, Mia also felt happy for him.

'But to think that it would be reciprocated...' When Mia first confronted Liam and badgered him why he would not confess, he told her that Aki loved somebody else. 'What about now?' Then a mischievous glint was reflected in her eyes. "Should I help these fools in love?'