Make up and Make out (3)

Liam let out a stifled groan and shot Aki with an incredulous look. "Do we really have to do this?"

"Come on. Please? Just ask." Aki placed a hand over the other's arm, giving it a light squeeze.

Liam faced forward and considered for a second. Aki watched his roommate take a deep, shaky breath. Liam closed his eyes when he turned back as if that could block him for what was to come. "Fine. Do you have someone you love?"

"Yes."

"Who?" Aki felt the man beside him stiffened. Liam's face tightened as he pursed his lips, but he kept his eyes closed. He seemed like someone holding his breath.

Aki leaned forward until his mouth was right on Liam's ear. He whispered, "You."

Before the other guy could react, Aki pressed his lips to Liam's. It was a brief touch, but the warmth that passed between them was enough to melt the remaining resistance within Aki. His restraints were coming loose. He was, finally, doing something right.

At some point, Aki closed his eyes. When he sat back, he licked his lips as if he could still feel the remnants of Liam's lips on him. He opened his eyes slowly and smiled, watching Liam do the same thing.

Liam stared at Aki with wide eyes. He looked startled. Alarmed. He opened his mouth, only to close them again, seemingly lost for words.

Panic rushed through Aki. Did he guess wrong? Was he being too forward?

"I'd love to think that you feel the same way too..." He met Liam's eyes and refused to back down, even when his instinct told him otherwise. He decided that if he was doing this, he wanted to see it to the end... whatever that end might be.

He continued rambling despite the other's silence. "I'm not perfect and I worry a lot. And most of the time I'm stupid who does the most stupid things. And most of all, I usually see the things that I want to see, not the things that are already there." He dug his nails on his palm. "Would you still love me?"

The silence stretched. Aki thought his heart would explode right then and there when he heard a soft chuckle.

"Are you kidding me?" Liam was grinning, but his face looked like he might cry. He reached out for Aki's hand, stopping the other from leaving marks on his palm.

"Liam--"

Liam cut him off. "I'm sorry. It's just... everything you've said felt surreal. I haven't registered any of those yet. But are you kidding me?" Liam smiled, not unkindly, but Aki still felt indignant.

"Of course not."

"Don't be mad." The man in front of him held Aki's hands and gripped them. "I already know everything you've said about yourself and I still loved you all this time. Now you're asking me if I'll still love you?"

The corners of Aki's lips quirked up until he found himself laughing. At that moment, everything felt clear and simple. To think, he blinded himself silly. He lied to himself about, well, just about everything.

When he stopped laughing, he gazed at Liam's eyes and said, "I really do love you."

It was almost midnight. When Liam smiled, it was brighter than a summer day. Aki used to avoid this brightness. He was afraid to get burned. But now, he did not mind if it could melt him.

"Me too." Liam closed their distance and kissed Aki once more.