Just your roommate

Thanks to the combined efforts of Nancy and Zy, their dinner was lively. Those two have a knack on carrying a conversation as they never seemed to run out of stories to tell, keeping Granny entertained. The two worked hard in charming the old lady while Liam and Aki played the part of the audience. They gave reactions and asked questions.

Aki guessed that Nancy might be doing her best to get to Granny's good side in order for her to gain back Liam's favor. She did not need to work that hard, though. Granny was taken in by her. That was no surprise. Other than having known her for a long time, Nancy helped the old lady before. Of course, Granny would feel indebted.

As the dinner went on, the topics of the discussion changed every now and then, but Aki had already given up trying to keep up. He focused his attention on his food and occasionally nodded his head. Stubborn like the owner, his eyes kept on following Liam, who remained cold towards Aki the entire day.

The food was impeccable as always. The company, despite his personal opinion of Nancy, was pleasant and entertaining. Still, Aki could not enjoy the meal. Something else weighed him down.

After dinner, Liam took Nancy back home while Aki and Zy volunteered to help Granny cleaning up.

"Does Nancy come here often?" Zy asked innocently.

Aki met Zy's gaze and frowned at his friend. Zy was obviously fishing for information.

"Yes, those two are childhood friends. Liam had a secret crush on her so that kid always invited Nancy and their friends over," Granny laughed softly as she reminisced about Liam's childhood.

Aki tuned out as Zy and Granny continued talking. Their conversation seemed to drain him even more.

Once they were done cleaning, Zy and Granny retired first. Aki went out to wait for Liam in the hammock. It was almost ten in the evening when the man he was waiting for came back. Liam looked surprised to see Aki outside the house.

While waiting, Aki reviewed and practiced the things he would like to say to his roommate. He thought talking to Liam would be a breeze. They got along just fine, right?

But now, standing in front of Liam, Aki was having second thoughts. The words he wanted to say seemed to have been stuck in his throat. No matter how much he swallowed, they would not come out.

Liam stood there, waiting. Aki had no choice but to bite the bullet. He gave his roommate a small smile to hide his nervousness. "Thank you for bringing us here. And I'm sorry. I know I was--," Aki admitted.

Without waiting for Aki to finish, Liam just nodded and walked towards the house. Aki frantically grabbed the other's arm.

"Wait!"

Liam waited and stared at Aki coldly, the look that had been piercing through Aki's heart the entire day.

"Why are you so angry?!" Aki asked. "Is it because I bring Zy with us? If it wasn't okay, you should've said so. I would understand."

"You think I'm mad that you took Zy with us?" Liam let out a sardonic laugh.

When Aki did not answer, Liam pressed his lips into a thin line as if keeping his temper in control, but the rigid muscles on his face told Aki that Liam was not successful in his attempt. "Tell me," he whispered, "until when are you going to be a martyr?"

Aki blinked. "I'm not! I just want to help Zy as a friend!"

But Liam only snorted. "Really now. You think you'd convince me with that? You have to try harder Aki."

"What do you mean? What do you want me to do?"

"You've been pining for him for the longest time. Now he needs you the most. Yet, you're telling me that you're only helping as a friend?!"

Aki remained staring at the other guy, not knowing what to say.

Liam inhaled and exhaled a couple of times before he spoke again. But when he did, he spoke with so much pain, Aki thought he might cry. "But I beg you. Treasure yourself more. Prioritize yourself before Zy."

Aki opened his mouth to speak, but Liam did not seem to be waiting for an answer as he continued, "Ah right. Why would you listen to me? I'm just a roommate. A nobody compared to Zy."

Then Liam disappeared into the house, leaving Aki alone in the dark.