Breather (2)

But Aki could not stay longer in Jun's apartment as it was cramp for two guys living together. He did not really think of going back home but he would rather impose on his family than with Jun.

So he moved back to his parents' house which was five stations away from his campus. He certainly did not miss the jam-packed rush hours every morning. But he did miss the familiarity of their home.

His first worry though was his parents would ask questions. Aki would never say the truth of nursing a broken heart yet he did not want to lie either. So he thought he would settle on something safe like a place to study quietly if they asked. But none of those questions really came.

On the day he came back, his mother cooked all of his favorite foods and prepared his room. His father was surprised but never said anything. His sister was enough to fill in the silence in their house. It was as if Aki never really left their house.

+++

The realization hit him in the most unexpected time. He was joking with his mom, telling her how it would help him get high scores if she would make his favorite coffee jelly. He loved the coffee jellies his mom made. It had just the right amount of sweetness that he savored till the last drop. It was the best in this world. But it was also tiring to do especially since his mother also worked in the morning then household chores when she got home. So Aki put the idea behind and studied.

It was close to midnight when his mother knocked on his room and brought him his coffee jelly.

When he showed a surprised look, his mother said, "Oh, are you also worried that you'll get fat if you eat sweets at night like Rina?"

Aki wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. "Did Rina say that? Geez. Is she on a teenage phase?" He took the plate from his mom and turned serious. "You really didn't have to make it."

"I want to make it for you. You know that I'll always make one for you." His mother patted his head and smiled. "Study hard."

When she left, Aki started eating his snack, almost choking back a sob. He heard the unsaid 'we are always here for you' and felt bad for taking these people for granted -- his family, Jun, Liam. They were all there for him. It was high time to be there for them too.

+++

Going back home meant living with his sister again, who was now a senior high student. She was still annoying, still clingy, and still sweet. She kept him company, telling bits and pieces about the changes in the neighborhood, the idol groups she was into and Aki would tell her about his university life, even including a certain school idol in his tales. Despite their differences in personalities with Rina being the more outgoing one, they got along well.

Also, she loved eating his foods when he was not looking.

"Who ate my pudding!?" Aki bellowed.

"That's me," Rina said in the most nonchalant way as she remained glued to her phone. "It was just there, begging to be eaten. So I ate."

"I was reserving it for later!"

"Oopsie." And then she was gone, his lovely little sister hiding in the comfort of her room.

His mother laughed. His father snorted. Just like that, he was back at home.