1 Step Forward 2 Steps Back

Summary- it's never enough to say I'm sorry, it's never enough to say I care...

Theory of a deadman bitch.

***

Tony was cold.

The fun, happy energetic Tony Stark everyone knew and loved. Slowy started drifting into something else.

It was sad really, especially with Steve being the only person receiving the hateful, cold end.

It started off slowy, but ended up progressing to him having to do the one thing, he promised he would never. But you shouldn't blame him, Tony was becoming a heartless asshole.

Only to steve.

Steve, was 20, in college and starting a career in playing a beat up six string. Passed down from Joseph Rogers himself, with a pat on the shoulder, and a few life tips.

"Alright dude," Joseph always called his son dude, or kiddo. "Listen, you gotta go for it man. Just really, go for it. Never say never, and never take shit off nobody."

Steve looked up to his father always had.

So he took the guitar, with one broken string. He waited until he had a job and was heading out of highschool and into college to really pick on playin. He got the thing fixed and tuned and everything.

He was good.

But what really suprised people was his singing, it was wonderful, fantastic... but Steve hated singing. Never enjoyed coming up with all those sappy rhymes.

That was until he met Tony stark.

Tony was also a rocker, more into ACDC and mötley crüe. He played bass, while his friend Clint played drums.

Steve was first introduced to the 19 year old college freshman, when he transfers to the early college. They had a class that taught people the basics about guitar playing. Steve decided to volunteer to help the teacher actually teach the kids.

He was taking a class on painting, which was a another talent of his...

Tony, was also a volunteer, he helped set up equipment mostly. But he was cool, cute to. He had shaggy brown hair and always wore a bandana in his head.

Steve went more for the leather jaket and light blue jeans, while tony went fore tight pants and and tank tops.

He had a tattoo on his left shoulder, it was a skeleton hand holding up devil horns, while underneath read a quote from his favorite song.

Something like, 'and maybe someday we'll find it wasn't really wasted time' Steve liked it.

He didn't have tattoos but his did have peicerd ears. He always wore diamond studs and looked fantastic doing it.

The first time the met they hit it off right away. Tony had on a wore out bon jovi tee and a pair of skin tight black jeans. He had his signature bandana on, which was just an old harley Davidson one he stole from wallmart.

Steve was more casual, a plain black shirt and some blue jeans, with a leather jaket and his studs. He had cowboy boots on, that were a size to big... but he didn't mind.

When tony saw him walk in, he stared so hard he ran into a microphone stand.

Steve was gorgeous.

They ended up working together a lot in the class, they became great friends, and eventually Steve asked tony out. He sang him a little song from his favorite band the Eagles.

Tony melted and from that day forward was Steve's little rocker boy. But that all started changing.

Tony started becoming more... distant with Steve, he ignored him, and yelled at him for no reason.

Anything Steve tried to do to fix it. He would just make it worse. Tony always blew up on him about things.

Steve was constantly apologizing for things he didn't even do. He loved Tony, he loved him so much... He was giving him his all, he tried fixing it. He tried hard.

And he finally had enough.

After 4 months of nothing but getting yelled at, and put down. After countless reminders, that yes he really did love Tony.

Tony was still nice to his friends and the students... but acted like he hated Steve.

He wrote a song, first song he had ever thought to write, tried to write...

He thought he succeeded...

He sang it to his bestfriend from childhood Nat. She cried and told him it was perfect, and that Tony would either straighten up or leave after hearing it.

Steve wasn't sure which one sounded worse...

But after countless rehearsals he finally got Tony to sit down with him. He finally got him to listen to him.

He sat in the blue recliner that didn't work, and Tony layed out on the couch. He had a scowl on his face because Steve begged him to come in there.

Steve didn't say anything and just grabbed his guitar and started strumming.

Clearing his throat he prepared himself and started singing, Tony's eyes widening as he did.

"Its never enough to say I'm sorry, its never enough to say I care... but im caught between what you wanted from me. And if i give that to ya, I might just disappear..."

The reasons for the rehearsals, was so he wouldn't cry... He practiced and practiced, but he knew he was still gonna.

Steve continued before tony could talk.

"Nobody wins when everyone's losing..."

Yep his eyes were blurring, he knew the next part was gonna get him. Hopefully it would get tony too.

"Its like one step forward and two steps back, no matter what i do you're always mad... and i, I can't change your mind."

To his suprise tony gasped as he realised something. Probably that he was a complete dick. He tried to interrupt Steve to tell him he was sorry, but Steve continued singing.

A couple of tears streaming down his face.

"Its like trying to turn around on a one way street, I can't give you what you want and it's killing me... and I'm , I'm starting to see... maybe were not ment to be."

That time Steve's voice cracked and went off pitch as he kept strumming and looked up at his boyfriend.

Tony's mouth was open as his eyes watered. He gave Steve the most pitiful look, and stood from the couch. Steve lays his guitar down when Tony started walking over.

He cupped Steve's face on his hand, and started crying. He ended up wrapping his arms around his head and hugging him.

"I'm so sorry... I don't know what got into me... please don't leave me steve." He says into his ear.

Steve hugs him back tightly, "you hurt me Tony..." he whispers causing the brunette to cry more.

"I know, I know Stevie... you didn't deserve that... I cant tell you how sorry I am. I love you Steve."

Steve hugged him tighter, "I love you to rocker boy."

Itsa bOp!!

The songs called, not ment to be.