Strings

Summary: "stop telling me what to do!"

***

Steve, he wasn't what one would say "controlling" he was just very, protective.

Didn't want Tony doing something without his supervision, because he didn't want anything to happen to him, sometimes it meant a lot to Tony, especially when Steve would hold his hand going down the escalator, or make sure to bring Tony a jacket, knowing he would forget.

But then there were times where Steve wouldn't let Tony out of his sight at the grocery store, treating him like he was some toddler who had to stay in the shopping cart.

The one thing that really did it for Tony however is when Steve tried to follow him to the gym, Tony was more then capable of working out alone, or with Clint or whoever was there that day.

He found it relaxing to lift weights and listen to classic rock, just letting off steam. But steve insisted he come too so Tony didn't hurt himself.

Now tony was already having a bad day, long business meeting, Pepper had already yelled at him twice, once for no reason, and the second because he asked if she was on her period from her yelling at him the first time

His cheek still hurts, but at least he learned, "its disrespectful, and disgusting to ask a woman that." Her exact words.

He was just wondering, he even offered her chocolates.

But Tony had already accumulated a bunch of stress that day, so when steve had insisted he come too, since no one else was in the tower but Bruce, and he was just relaxing after another long and dreadful battle, Tony flipped out.

A year and four months had been enough.

"No Steve," was his first approach, just tell him no, maybe he would get the hint.

"Yes Tony, I need to make sure you dont get hurt, working out alone can be very dangerous, and I just want to keep you safe."

He had a point, a good one at that. Working out alone was dangerous, and really, 99% of the time someone was with Tony when he worked out, never leave a bro hanging.

But Tony was fed up, and he wasnt thinking about anything but the fact Steve wouldn't leave him the fuck alone.

"Dammit Steve!" He blurts, his fists clenching hard by his sides, "I can do things on my own, I am a grown man!"

Steve raised his eyebrows, but nodded not interrupting and just letting Tony continue.

"I'm not your puppet, I can do things on my own. So take these strings you got," he pretended to grab a string, "and cut them loose!" He cut the invisible strings with his fingers and let his hands drop to his side.

"Alright, go have fun sweetheart." Steve didnt seem mad, so Tony found that as a good thing, "I'll be in my studio," he adds, kisses Tony's forehead and begins to walk away, but as hes leaving he glances back, "if you need help, I'm busy."

"Well good," Tony thought as he gathered his gym bag and headed to the  downstairs gym. "I dont need his help anyways."

Upon arriving Tony scoped out the place, it was empty, all except the exercise equipment, and the water bottle left in the corner... Clint.

Tony sat his things down, plugged his ear buds into his phone, made sure his shoes were tied and headed to the treadmill.

He planned to run a couple miles, before he started lifting weights, he had done this routine times before, so it wouldn't be a problem, it was actually quite easy for him.

But he had underestimated the amount of stress he was under, and his tired he really was. By his second mile he was already panting like a dog, his water was half gone and his feet hurt.

So he cut the running short, wanting to get to the bench pressing, it was always his favorite, he had protected the breathing techniques, and could get in a few good sets in.

So with two, 45 pound weights, and one 10 pound weight on each side he got into position. He knew this was dangerous, he hadn't done 200 pounds in a few months, but he wanted to push himself. To prove he could do fine on his own.

He positioned his hands in the bar, made sure his wrists were good and lifted the set from the rack.

Easy.

First rep was nice, wasn't to heavy he breathed out on time, it was good.

But by the beginning of his second set of ten, he was starting to get flustered, his arms were shaking, he was very sweaty, but he continued to push himself.

He lifted the bar from the rack, and lowered it to his chest. But as soon as the bar touched he realised it was a mistake

Because he pushed and it wasnt moving, it was starting to cramp his biceps, and the bar was pressing hard into his sternum.

He grunted as he tried his best to push the bar up, he strained as hard as he could, but it just wounding budge.

Until it did, Tony lifted it with the ease of his first one, and he must of closed his eyes when he was straining so hard, because when he opened them and saw Steve standing behind him, he let out a huge sigh of relief.

"Shit..." he mumbles, because he was wrong, he needed steve to come with him, this was super dangerous.

But steve was mad, he had that stupid little smirk, because he knew he was right, but he wasn't mad.

His hand came to Tony's chest and he rubbed over the spot where the bar had been sitting, before helping Tony sit up.

"You okay?" He asks, offering to help Tony to his feet, and Tony accepted, except he just wrapped himself around Steve.

"No." Tony mumbles, he was shaking because it had scared him when he couldn't lift the weights back up, plus his chest hurt.

Steve kissed the top of Tony's hair and patted his back, "learned your lesson?" He asks, and Tony nods.

"No more gym by myself," he whispers, and sighed again, because he hated it when Steve was right.

"Good, now let's get you upstairs and cleaned up."

Hi... hehe