Chapter 3 - Reason for Living

"Die? Who? Is he talking about me?"

Naoto can't move, his body won't move as he wants, he has been paralyzed by fear.

The demon raised his trident, preparing to take the little child life. But before the trident could pierce Naoto's body, a loud voice of a man sounded from behind.

"Die! Evil creature!"

Blood spurt from the goat demon neck, slowly, the head slide down to the floor. Its body turned into nothingness.

Naoto slowly looked up and saw a man in a black uniform, he is holding a red-colored katana in his hands. His short orange hair looks just like a flame, and his eyes are sharp but kind.

The man immediately squatted in front of Naoto and checked his body for any injuries.

"Good, you look fine, only a few scratches. What about your family?"

His voice is gentle but there is a sense of urgency hidden in it. Naoto's body flinched when he heard that question.

Slowly, he turns his head to the corner of the room. The man followed Naoto's gaze, he gritted his teeth in regret seeing three lifeless body in the corner.

"Kuh... I'm sorry, I was too late. My name is Roku, I'm a demon hunter. I come to this village to exterminate the demon that suddenly appeared in here along with some of my companions. Now come with me, I will bring you to a safe place."

"Safe... place?"

"Yes, a safe place."

With blank eyes, Naoto stares into Roku's eyes directly.

"Is there any point to go there? My family has died... I'm the only one left... is there any meaning to continue living?"

The demon hunter Roku widen his eyes in surprise, this kid is surprisingly negative. Every kid he has saved before all cried in relieve, but this kid in front of him already losing the will to live.

He can't sense any life in his eyes. But he can't blame him, his family has been murdered brutally right in his face.

Naoto asked again with a monotone voice, he didn't have any expression and his tears continue to roll down like a broken dam.

"Hei... mister... please tell me... is there any point in continue living? Because I don't know anymore."

Roku feels at loss, he never handled a child like this before. Because Naoto didn't act like a child at all. Roku firmed his gaze and grinned at Naoto.

"There is... kid, your name?"

"Karasuma... Naoto."

"Good, Naoto-kun! There is a point!"

His small and adorable head tilted in confusion.

"There is...?"

Roku nodded seriously, but his voice is still gentle and calm like a water.

"Tell me Naoto-kun, what feeling do you have right now? Do you like it?"

Naoto slowly shakes his head in denial.

"Fear... sadness... powerlessness... and anger... this feeling makes me want to puke. I hate it so much."

"That's right, now tell me do you want other people to feel the same as you?"

"No, I don't, this disgusting feeling. Any people should not feel like this. No one should feel this feeling at all."

Roku's big hand stretches out, he grabbed Naoto's shoulder and smiled happily.