Chapter 23 - Home

It's noon, a man with purple haori is riding his light brown-colored horse slowly through a mountain path. Orangish colored trees stretches as far as his eyes can see, fallen leaves also fill the road, making everything look like a beautiful tree of fire.

He slightly raised his straw hat and look into the distances. There is a big mansion far down the mountain, but it looks very small from his place.

Naoto got a lot of money from every demon he exterminate, since he didn't know what he would use it for, he buy a horse for a quick travel. Beside the horse there two big leather satchel, both of it is full of his gear and souvenir he buy on the way home.

Not long, he already arrived in front of the gate of butterfly estate, a huge sense of nostalgia struck him. He only depart not more than two month, yet it already feel like a long time. Smile creep up upon his face. He get off from the horse and proceed to pull the horse into the front yard.

In the garden, he saw a familiar figure. A girl with short stature wearing a black demon hunter uniform with white haori, her hair is tied back with purple butterfly ornament. She is shoveling the soil and plant a seedling into the hole before closing it back.

"Oi, Shinobu!"

That voice made Shinobu body flinched, she turn around and see Naoto is walking toward her with a huge smile. She stand up and smile a little.

"Nao, you're back. Took you longer than what you said before."

"I can't help it, suddenly Ubuyashiki give more mission to me."

"Is that so?"

Shinobu look behind Naoto and point her finger toward Kiki, Naoto horse.

"That horse, did you buy it?"

"Yes, using my first paycheck. Talking about money..."

From inside his clothes, Naoto take thick stack of paper money and give it to Shinobu. Shinobu receive the money with stupefied face. Soon she look at Naoto with horrified expression.

"H-how did you get all of this money!? It can't be you?!"

Seeing distrust in Shinobu face, Naoto feel irritated.

"Oi, oi, don't jump into conclusion that fast! Can't you trust me a bit more!? I got it from Ubuyashiki, it's my reward for killing every demon! The kakushi come to deliver it for me!"

"Oh, so that's the case. Here I thought you start robbing people out of desperation."

A vein appear on Naoto head, his mouth twitched. Shinobu look down on him too much.

"But this money is too much, take it back."

"No, it's not only for my food expenses, but also for everything you and Kanae has done for me up until now. Just think of it as payment for my rent."

Shinobu smiled and put the money inside her clothes.

"If you say so."

"Hm? Did you become shorter?"

"Huh? Picking a fight?"

"N-no, it's not that. Oh maybe I'm the one who become taller."

"Yeah, right. Congratulations, must've feel great to gain height just in a month."

She avert her gaze from Naoto and pouted a little. Naoto thought her expression look a bit cute. Before Shinobu don't have too much expression when talking to him, but now she become more expressive. Naoto take off his straw hat and smile bitterly.

"I'm sorry, my joke has gone too far. And, this is for you."

Shinobu see a small rabbit plushie in Naoto palm. She keep staring at the plushie speechlesly.