Chapter 43 - Meeting Giyuu Again

Another year passed, the wind has gotten colder, and many leaves turned into red and orange color. It's autumn, and Naoto will turn sixteen this winter.

Shinobu is doing maintenance on her sword inside her room. The window is opened to let the fresh air in. With a ball of cotton, she carefully pick off the dust on her blade when the door of her room suddenly slide open.

"Oi, Shinobu, lend me your alcohol burner and stone grinder."

That voice makes Shinobu feel irritated, she looks at the man on the doorstep in displease.

"Nao... I already said to ask for my permission first before going in, ah forget it, you never listen anyway, the burner is above the work desk, and the stone grinder is below the table."

"Come on, don't be so cold to your big brother. You will make me cry."

Naoto walked into her room casually, he take the alcohol burner at the top of the table and start rummaging many tools under the table.

"Oh, I will also borrow your distiller."

"Just take what you need. But why don't you just buy your own tool?"

"There is a free one right here, why should I waste more money?"

Shinobu mouth twitched, his reason is logical, but it still unbelievable how Naoto could say it without any shame. Almost everyday week Naoto will come into her room to bring back the borrowed tools and taking another one. Now Shinobu already get used to it.

Naoto saw a circular aquarium at the top of the table, inside it many goldfish swim around in colorful rocks and water plants.

"These guys have grown big."

"Well, of course, I've been taking care of them all the time."

"I expected the fish to die after a few months, but looks like I was wrong."

A pillow fly toward Naoto, and he casually dodges it. He looks at Shinobu who just throws the pillow.

"What is your problem?"

Shinobu scoffed.

"Are you saying I can't take care of a few fish? Do you forget who takes care of you when you are hungry and injured?"

"Yes, yes, I get it, I get it, I'm sorry, forgive me."

"Hmph. Have you cleaned the pond? It's your turn today, and I don't want my beloved koi to die do you hear me?"

"Sumi, Kiyo, and Naho said they want to do it so I let them do it."

"You..."

"Don't look at me like that, it's their wish. Even I feel bad about it you know, but they won't listen to what I said. I will return all of this after I'm done."

Naoto takes the tools and exited her room before he went back to his room. Every day other than completing the mission given by the Kasugai crow, Naoto used all of his time to perfecting his own form and technique in secret, other than that he will try crafting a new kind of weapon that can help him in the battle.

He grinds a black powder with the grindstone and pour the black powder into a small bamboo tube. Suddenly a black crow fly down and sat in the opened window.

"Caawww! Karasuma Naoto, please come to Ubuyashiki estate-"

Before the crow could finish his message, a vein appeared on Naoto's head, he grabbed the crow and throw it out from the window. This crow keeps repeating the same message to him every week for two years, that's right, two years. Naoto keeps ignoring the crow message since he feels there is something troublesome waiting for him if he meets Kagaya.