Chapter 33 - Mission with Kanae part 2

To reach Nagano, Naoto and Kanae need to use the train because the distance is quite far. Naoto feels light-headed because there are so many people in the train station. But luckily, the train they take didn't have too many passengers.

One day later, they finally reach Nagano in the morning and continue their journey on foot to Nagiso village. It took two hours from the train station to reach the village and they keep running at full speed without stopping.

As they run, a very beautiful village can be seen not too far in the distances. Like every place they have been through, the village also got covered in thick snow. A lot of villagers can be seen shoveling the snow out from their yard and road so their cart can pass through easily.

When Naoto and Kanae walk through the village, the villager are very friendly. They keep greeting and waving their hands toward Kanae and Naoto. Kanae waved back with a smile while Naoto lightly bowed.

The snowfall already stopped and the sky is very bright. Kanae fold her umbrella and strap it beside Naoto bag.

With a dispirited face and weak voice, Naoto grumbled.

"Kanae... I'm hungry..."

Kanae smile wryly, she already gets used to hearing Naoto complain about his hunger.

"I know, we have been running all morning. But I don't know any place to eat around here. Wait here I will ask someone."

"...Yes..."

She heads toward one of the middle-aged man who is shoveling snow in front of his house. They chatted for a bit, and Naoto wait for Kanae patiently. It didn't take long before Kanae come back with a smile on her face.

"Good news and bad news."

"Huh? What news?"

"The bad news is there is no restaurant in this village."

Instantly Naoto's face becomes blue, his shoulder dropped weakly.

"Y-you are joking, right? I will die at this rate, and there is no animal to hunt in winter."

"You make a big deal out of this."

"Of course! I don't have any strength left!"

"But you already ate twenty bento sold inside the train."

"Do you think that's enough!? Use your common sense more!"

Sweat dropped from Kanae head, she smiles bitterly.

"Oh my, for normal people two or three boxes is already enough. You are the one who is not in the category of common sense here."

Engulfed by despair, Naoto kneeled on the ground weakly.

"Ugh... Dying a warrior death by fighting a demon is one thing... But I never thought I will die a ridiculous death from starvation... It never cross my mind even once. I will become a laughing stock in the afterlife."

"Geez, I already told you, you make a big deal out of it. There is still good news."

Naoto raises his head and looks at Kanae.

"What?"

"Although there is no restaurant here, that uncle will gladly cook for us if we pay him."

Instantly, Naoto's face brightens in happiness. He stands up and grabs Kanae hand.

"Really!?"

She nodded in affirmation.

"Mm, mm. It's true."