Chapter 34 - Mission with Kanae part 3

Even after searching the entire village, both Naoto and Kanae can't find anything out of ordinary. Every villager said it's very peaceful like always. Naoto flow sense also didn't detect any demonic current. The day began to turn darker and darker.

"Taka-san, Hanabi-san. I will go out with Nao, maybe it will take some time."

"Is that so? Then I will leave the door unlocked, so you can come back anytime you want. It's safe around here."

"Yes, thank you very much."

"But that's a big backpack your husband carry there, why don't you just leave it here? It's heavy right?"

"No need to worry Taka-san, the bag is not that heavy. Nao really likes to draw it's full of his painting equipment. He wants to paint night scenery today."

"If you say so, be careful."

"Yes, ~."

Both Kanae and Naoto left the house and start walking around the village. Because it's getting darker and there is no electricity in this village, Naoto needs to use a lantern to light the way. The cold wind and crunching sound from the snow accompany their way.

"You keep making me speechless, how can you think all of that excuse in short moment?"

"Fufufu, it's pretty easy if you go out more and talk to a lot of people."

As they keep walking through the dark road, Kanae sighs heavily.

"Sigh... Still no clue... Nao, I think we should-"

"I refuse."

Naoto instantly cut Kanae words. He already knows what she wanted to say, Kanae wants to split up and monitor the other part of the village.

Kanae looks troubled.

"But-"

Before Kanae can utter what she wants to say, Naoto immediately rejects it without any expression.

"I refuse."

"Can't you trust me a bit more?"

"No."

Kanae sighed again, she knows why Naoto won't leave her alone. She already knows what happens in his mission with Shinobu, that experience traumatized him a bit. Naoto didn't look down at Kanae and Shinobu abilities at all, he knows they are strong but he still feels worried about them.

If Naoto heard either Kanae or Shinobu will fight a quite dangerous demon, he will voluntarily accompany them if he also didn't have any job at the time. Sometimes he will even go as far as checking their condition directly by riding a horse.

They feel happy that Naoto is worried about them, but it also makes their heads hurt at the same time.

"Nao, I'm a demon hunter you know. I'm also a pillar, I can't let myself be protected."

"..."

He ignored what Kanae said and keep following her everywhere she goes. Kanae can only sigh, Naoto won't back down no matter what she said, he is too overprotective.

With an unhappy face, Kanae stop in her track and Naoto also stopped. She looks directly in Naoto's eyes, Naoto feels a bit flustered because Kanae rarely makes this kind of face.

"Nao, do you forget who we are and what our job is?"

Naoto answer timidly.

"Demon hunter... To protect human and slaying demons..."

"Right, Ever since I join the demon hunter, both me and Shinobu already knew what kind of danger that waits for us. Both of our lives are just a single drop in an ocean without any boundaries."