Chapter 55 - Giyuu and Shinobu

In northern snowy mountain, the rest point area. There is a small village, most of the villager are Matagi hunter who lives off the animal they hunt.

Inside a certain small pharmacy, a cute adorable girl with butterfly ornament and butterfly patterned haori is sitting in the living room with an old shopkeeper.

"A man-eating bear?"

"We call it den-deprived bear around here. Many mountain matagi hunters have were eaten by it."

"No wonder... I thought the air around the rest point was rather tense."

Hearing what the girl said, the old lady look troubled. He talks to the girl with a gentle and kind tone.

"Dear, don't say anything bad. It's better for you to head back quickly right?"

"Yes, but I'm free for the first time in a while... And I can't really trust other people when it comes to buying a lot of herbal remedies... Besides..."

With a smile, Shinobu says casually.

"The fact that a bear is roaming around eating humans is very much within my spheres of work. So if there is anything you know or selling, please tell me."

Seeing the girl calm smile is making the old lady speechless.

Unlike in the past, Shinobu always smiling. It's like she's trying to hide something under that cute smile.

Suddenly there is a lot of commotion from the outside. Interested in what happened, Shinobu peeked out from the door. Two adults are arguing with a teenage girl.

"You went into the mountains alone again huh!?!?"

"I wasn't alone! Taro is with me!"

"But he's a dog! Leave the avenging of Matazou to the adults!"

Shinobu asks the old shopkeeper about what happened.

"What's that?"

The old lady look at the girl who is arguing with two adults with a concerned face and explains.

"You mean Yae-chan? She's the daughter of Matazou the Matagi. Her father and friends died in front of her after they were attacked by the bear... Ever since then, she's been like that. And when she's not going down to the village for shopping, she always heads into the mountain for vengeance. I really hurt my heart to see her."

Hearing the old lady's words, Shinobu face becomes a bit cloudy. Vengeance? She can relate to her feeling because right now there is one of his family who's on the road of exacting revenge. A man with a long black ponytail and dark purple haori surface on her mind.

Suddenly her face brightened. She sees someone familiar, he is wearing a half and half colored haori. His long hair is tied into a low ponytail. He didn't have any expression as he walked toward the teenage hunter. Shinobu feel a bit happy seeing him here.

"Eh?"

The man with half and half haori grabbed the teenage girl hunting rifle. Feeling something grabbing her precious rifle, the girl called Yae turns around angrily intending to elbow anyone who grabs her rifle.

"Don't go grabbing my Shirobire!"

But her elbow is being stopped by a huge palm. The girl feels a bit flustered, the man has a very good reflex. The man with a low ponytail is staring at him with a flat face, she's wondering if he ever makes any kind of expression. He opens his mouth and talks with a monotone voice.

"So you're Yae. Tomioka Giyuu, demon hunters. Tell me about what happened when the demon attacked you."

The two adults who arguing with Yae feel confused. They look at Giyuu weirdly.