Chapter 21 - Reigen Gift

"Naoto my boy, if you ever read this, there is a huge chance I already bite the dust. No need to feel sad, I should be dead a few years ago, even Kagaya can't use his foresight to see the chance of survival from my sickness. It's a miracle I can keep living until I meet you. At first, I didn't want to train you, because I was afraid that I will suddenly die, leaving you with half-baked knowledge. But I'm glad that I manage to cram all of that training in three years."

"Training you in all of these three years is the most blissful time of my life, I keep wondering if this is what it feels like to have a grandson. But no sane person will train their own grandson to the point of dying, but I will keep this to myself. However, knowing you, I'm sure you will cry and feel depressed. But you can't keep mourning, if I know you are still crying I will start cursing you from the depths of hell. "

"Lastly, I leave this book to you. It contains a forbidden technique that gives you tremendous power. However, the price for that power is far too big. Many people don't want to master this technique because, like its name, it's forbidden. But I'm sure you will be more than happy to learn it. Naoto my boy, never use this technique unless you know you can't win or you are ready to die for something that worth your life. There is always next time, as long as you are living you can always do it another time. But if you feel there is no next time, you can unleash this technique. However, I will pray for the day you use this technique will never come. Keep living, and enjoy your life, my boy, for your own sake, and for everyone you love."

This is Reigen true feelings, he is very strict and harsh toward Naoto. But even in the form of writing, Naoto can feel Reigen wholeheartedly write all of this. There is a bit of prickling pain in his heart.

He really wants to show Reigen that he already pass the final selection and become a full-fledged demon hunter. But knowing that time will never come, Naoto can only bury that wish deep in his heart.

Shinobu and Kanae feel a bit flustered because tears just rolled down from Naoto's eyes. Naoto's expression didn't change, he is still seriously reading the letter, looks like he hasn't realized it. Both of them didn't want to bother him so they let Naoto read the letter in peace. Nobody knows what kind of expression Tecchin made.

He moved on onto the second paper. On it, there is a small circular pendant made from wood and a thin cloth that looks like a banner with a purple flower symbol on it.

"Note: I will leave Shiro to you, to summon Shiro, just wear the necklace and use the flower banner, place it onto the rooftop, after that whistle three times, one Short, one long, and one short in one second. Shiro can detect the necklace from far away, and the flower banner is used as a return point. But there is a limit on how far he can sense someone, so be careful. You can make the banner your own by dipping a cloth into concentrated agarwood water and draw the same flower symbol on it."

Naoto hasn't finished reading the second paper, but he feels his cheeks are cold. Naoto tried to touch his face, it's wet from tears. He just realizes that he's been crying all this time and hurriedly wiped it off.

"Well, my job here is done, once again, goodbye."

Seeing the old man small figure start to walk away, Naoto bow to him.

"Thank you."

Without turning his body around, Tecchin says in a low voice.

"Hmph, you'd better be useful, I don't want a very good weapon to get wasted by a completely useless person."

Tecchin keeps walking until he disappears in the corner of the road.

Naoto continues to read the second paper when Kanae suddenly calls him.