Chapter 16 - Renovation

Morning comes, like always, when the bird started chirping, Naoto slowly opened his eyes. An unfamiliar room comes into his view. This place is very peaceful and warm, it makes him feel a bit weird. Before he needs to sleep on the hard floor and endured the cold air, but right now he's sleeping on a comfortable bed.

"Ah, right... This is my new home..."

He gets up and stretches his tense muscles. Oddly, he feels a bit refreshed even though a lot of terrible things happened yesterday. He still feeling a little down, but he's not too depressed like yesterday. It must be because he meets Kanae and Shinobu, but he hasn't realized it yet.

"I can't keep thinking like this or master and Sabito will haunt me."

He opens the window to let the morning sunlight and fresh air in. The cold autumn wind blows through his face, his long black hair swayed in the wind. Taking a deep breath, the cold air filled his lungs. He blows it out, now he feels better.

A beautiful garden comes into his view, although there is a lot of weed and rotten leaves, it still looks beautiful in its way. Yesterday he can't see it clearly because the sky is getting darker, but now that it's morning, Naoto can see how beautiful this place is. A lot of butterflies are flying around the wildflowers.

"The garden is beautiful and all but... Sigh... If only this house is not broken, I can enjoy this view without any worries."

That's right, he still needs to repair everything in this place. Naoto's shoulder dropped weakly, the amount of thing he needs to fix is too many not to mention this place is very big.

Without further ado, he exits his room and slowly walks toward the bathroom to wash his face. After that, he walks around the house to write down everything that is broken and needs to get fixed.

When Naoto went to the dining room, he met Shinobu. She's in the middle of preparing breakfast in the kitchen.

"Morning, Shinobu."

Hearing Naoto greeting, Shinobu look up with a flat expression.

"Morning, you wake up so early. I thought you are going to sleep until noon."

"Doesn't that apply to you?"

"That's because I need to make breakfast you fool."

Shinobu saw a small book and pencil in Naoto's hand.

"What are you doing?"

Feeling Shinobu gaze to his book, Naoto smiled. He opens the book and showed it to Shinobu.

"Hm? Oh, this? I'm checking every part of the house to see what needs to be repaired and list it down. It's easier to plan which one has the priority to get repaired first."

She glanced at the content.

"You also write down the material and price estimation? Well, that's some dedication."

"Of course, everything needs to be perfect. If you plan to build or renovate a building, you need to do it seriously. Because that place will become your place to make memories and live for a long time. Comfort and safety come first, you don't want to live in a haunted-looking house now do you?"

"Coming from you, that surprisingly makes a lot of sense."

A vein appeared on Naoto's face, his smile twitch in irritation.

"Can you at least say 'good job' or 'thanks for the hard work' if you don't want to praise me? I'm giving a lot of thought about this you know..."

"..."