one.

The pool glistened as the midday heat settled on my bare skin, the slight breeze moving my hair as it jostled the leaves on the trees and I smelt the faint salt scent as it drifted up from the ocean a few miles away.

I tucked a fly away hair behind my ear as I let the open book rest on my thighs, I could somehow feel the sunshine warming my bones as I sat out here, the olive trees swaying gently in the breeze and I closed my eyes.

As much as I loved London, there was something about Arles. Maybe it was the fact I was only ever here in the summer and everything was better in the summer, or maybe it was because I had the best memories with Mum here.

Or it was because it was thirty two degrees and I didn't have to worry about any of my real world responsibilities.

France wasn't bad.

I startled as an almighty crash sounded from inside the house and my eyes shot open; finding Brian who was already standing with his gun in his hands, his own eyes darting between the house and me.

"Stay here." Brian instructed and I nodded as I bit my lip, folding the corner of the page before I closed my book and watched as Brian headed into the house.

I strained my ears but couldn't hear anything, maybe it was Colette dropping something.

Not that I've ever seen or heard her drop anything in the entire time I've known her, and that happened to be my entire life. So I doubted it was her.

"Poppy!"

I shot up at the sound of my Fathers voice, a frown forming between my eyebrows as I headed towards the house, my skin prickling with a chill as I walked.

He wasn't supposed to be here yet.

My steps faltered as my eyes landed on the group of people now in my kitchen. Several heads turned towards me, faint smiles directed at me and I attempted to return them to the various faces I vaguely recognised.

"...Dad?" I called out as I tried to pretend that I actually had any confidence.

I couldn't even see Brian and he never left me.

"Poppy."

I jumped as Brian touched my arm and gestured for me to follow him, I guess he still never left me.

I followed silently towards my father's office, chewing my lip as he knocked and opened the door before gesturing for me to step in and I glanced over my shoulder to make sure he followed me in.

I swallowed thickly as I realised that the office was jam packed with a whole bunch of men with my father sitting behind his desk, a thick and somewhat bloody mark across his face and I felt my heart sink.

"What happened?" I asked immediately, several heads turning towards me as he rolled his eyes before attempting to smile at me.

"Nothing to concern yourself with Pops." Father spoke slowly and I shifted slightly, of course.

I didn't know why I bothered sometimes, but I did have a terrible feeling that my summer holiday was about to be cut short.

"So why are you here? Why is everyone here?" I asked carefully, aware that there were a lot of eyes on me and I didn't particularly enjoy this feeling.

"A whole bunch of bullshit!"

I blinked as someone else spoke making a whole bunch of people laugh, including my Father and I sucked my teeth as I stared at him who sighed and rubbed his face before nodding slowly.

"Leave us." Father stated and I frowned, was he talking to me or...?

I blinked as almost all the men stood and headed out and I felt my face flush as I realised it was very clear he wasn't talking to me.

"Don't hate me." He started and I narrowed my eyes.

I was right, my summer holiday was over.

"There was a situation, both here in France and back home and now you're in danger, an-"

"Why?" I cut in, unable to help myself making him look at me pointedly.

"Because you're my daughter. Don't interrupt me." Father snapped and I bit my lip, as I wrapped my arms around my torso.

"Sorry." I muttered.

"I've got you a minder." He stated making me freeze, "It's too dangerous for you to be alone now, and until I find out who was behind it and why then you're going to be looked after."

"I don't need a babysitter."

"It's not a babysitter Poppy. It's so you don't bloody die! Considering you reap the benefits of my lifestyle you can for once deal with one of the problems."

I sighed and glanced over my shoulder towards Brian who simply looked back at me.

"I have Brian." I attempted, jerking a finger over my shoulder.

"Brian has other jobs to do." Father pursed his lips and I sucked my teeth. "Also I think he deserves a break, he's been with you since you were a baby."

"Hey!" I protested as both he and Brian chuckled and I half heartedly glared at Brian who winked at me.

"Come on, I need to introduce you to Styles."

My Father pushed away from the desk and pocketed his phone and I watched him as he squeezed my arm as I followed him out with Brian behind me.

"Why? It's not like we're going to be friends." I muttered sourly.

I could name about five people that worked for my Father and two of those were Brian and my brother Max, so I don't think either of them counted.

"Styles!"

I shielded my eyes from the sun as I stood on the patio, my tranquil garden was no longer as men lounged around, the majority of them in black and I could see the sun shining off their guns and my heart sank.

Nothing was ever just mine.

"Sir."

I blinked as the sun was blocked as a body stopped in front of me and I dropped my hand from my eyes and I tried not to let the shock show on my face.

That was a voice.

"Styles, this is Poppy." Father introduced me and I glanced up at Styles' face and I felt my cheeks heat as his eyes simply flicked over my face before he curtly nodded. His face impassive as he looked back to my Father and his boss.

"Hi." I attempted to be polite even though I was still annoyed.

Styles simply nodded once more and I forced myself to not roll my eyes at him.

"I don't need a baby sitter!" I snapped, my temper flaring stupidly making my Father glare at me.

"Get used to it Pops, twenty four seven. Don't be a brat."

Father didn't give me a chance to respond before he turned on his foot and walked back inside leaving me with Styles and Brian and I looked at him for help but he simply shrugged.

"Putain de ridicule!" (fucking ridiculous!)

I couldn't help myself, a smug feeling bubbling knowing Styles wouldn't be able to understand me, but Brian just clicked his tongue at me whilst Styles just watched me with narrowed eyes and an impassive face.

"Don't be a brat."