fifty four.

shout to the tumblr book club, hope u crazy bitches like this x
-----

"You would have liked him, Dad hates him and so does Max, so, you definitely would have loved him."

The cold air snapped at my face as I sat on the cold hard ground, the grass frosty and I knew my legs were going to be damp when I got up but I didn't really care.

"I suppose I better get going, I started the turkey in the oven before I left. Dad wasn't up but I probably should be back before he notices."

When I first started doing this I felt like an absolutely freak, sitting on the ground talking to a slab of stone but now, four years after I first did it, I didn't care who knew. I missed my Mum.

"Merry Christmas Mum."

I shoved my hands into the pockets of my jacket as I left the cemetery, the streets quiet as I walked and I was thankful for it. It was only about seven in the morning and I knew a lot of people would still be asleep.

Although I was sure there would be some children getting up and starting to annoy their parents and the thought made me smile. I used to be like that but I used to go to Max first and well, that hasn't happened in years.

"Where have you been?"

I jumped as the front door swung open leaving my hand to hang in mid air with my key gripped in my fingers.

"Where are you going?" I asked instead, looking at my Father dressed, with several bags in the foyer with him.

"Singapore. I have some business."

"But it's Christmas Day."

I frowned as my Father looked at me as if I was stupid and I swallowed as I stepped out of the way as he started to move his bags onto the porch step.

"And I have to make money if you want to continue living in a house like this." My Father snapped and I flinched as I did nothing but watch him.

"Are you sure you can't stay? The turkeys big enough for five." I chewed my lip as my Father sighed as he looked at me.

I didn't even like turkey that much, I certainly wasn't going to eat the whole bird.

"I have to go Poppy." My Father said and I nodded, "Get Styles to call me when he gets back here."

"Why?" I asked without thinking.

"I don't think he's required anymore." My Father said and I felt my chest sink. "The two men responsible for your situation have been sentenced to twelve years."

"What about the person who threatened my life?" I frowned, my eyes widening as I let the information slip.

"How do you know about that?" My Father hissed and I shrugged, "The Rossi's have sorted that for us. I have to go."

I nodded as the front door slammed shut and I was left standing in the foyer alone, the house seeming bigger and emptier than ever.

+

I sighed as I shoved an entire gingerbread cookie in my mouth, I didn't even really want a cookie I just wanted to eat something. It was a terrible habit I was trying to break considering how much Harry and I ate anyway, I was getting chubby.

It was twenty to eleven in the morning and my Christmas sucked.

I dropped down onto the sofa, my eyes finding the Christmas tree and Harry's little pile of presents underneath it. I'd taken Max's away so I would remember to post them either tomorrow or Friday, whenever the post office would be open.