Chapter 11

Hello all, enjoy reading.

Before continue reading let me know your opinion or reactions regarding this question.
Q: Between power & family, which one will you choose and why?
Please answer it. 🙏
*******

Yes, he had not been drunk. He had been sober all along, as he visualized his thoughts. Time had passed by in a flash; it was like a cruel hand that had submerged the memories and promises that they had made to each other. He looked up and saw the outfits that his family used to wear, that was hung up at the tall altar in the tomb towards the front. The tomb was majestic and encompassed a large area, but all that was buried inside was a few outfits and their belongings they had when they were alive. Their heads were still on display in the temple meant for sinners in Xia, while their bodies had probably been devoured by wild wolves, amidst the chaos.

He lifted his wine cup as the strong wine caused an intense burning sensation in his throat, which felt like burning charcoal. The wind blew into the big palace, causing the curtains to sway from side to side like the sleeves worn by dancers. Yan Xun's line of sight was still clear. His thin, handsome face was slightly red; the look in his eyes was foggy, having been through the various vicissitudes of life. In just two years, he had been driven to the point of extreme fatigue. His entire life seemed to be filled with obstacles along the way. Gradually, the people in his life left, one by one, towards different directions, although they had set off together on their journeys.

"Father," he uttered, breaking the silence, as he felt a sense of calm, "father, you lied to me." Yan Xun looked up at the portrait on the altar. His father's image was vivid. He looked at the man whom he had idolized as a child and said quietly, "You said that Yan Bei was a utopia, the freest and most prosperous place in the world. You said that all you did was for the continuity of future generations, but you were wrong. You were utterly wrong. You destroyed Yan Bei and yourself, along with the Yan family. During my eight years in Zhen Huang, I survived all because of my trust in you, and the dreams that I harbored. However, when I got back to Yan Bei after going through so much, you didn't know how disappointed I was."

Yan Xun was emotionless; the palace was enveloped in silence. He looked quietly at the portrait of his father as he continued, "There are walls everywhere. It's cold. However, you isolated yourself and built your own utopia amongst the cracks. Do you know how naive this was? Hence, the emperor could not tolerate you anymore. The world could not tolerate you anymore. Even your subordinates betrayed you, because you were not powerful enough to complete even what the emperor could not.

"Father, I killed Mister Wu and Lady Yu because they were still carrying out your last wishes. They became obstacles towards my progress. I gave them chances, but they did not treasure it. I killed Huanhuan because Da Tong wanted to appoint her as its new leader. As long as she was around, Da Tong would not die out. I killed your old subordinates because they were myopic, yet they still held such high positions. I killed many people. I'm nearer to my dreams now." Yan Xun looked up and downed another cup of wine. He refilled his cup and poured its contents out onto the floor as he muttered word by word, "Father, I will not be like you."

Yan Xun stood upright as he turned to leave; the bottom of his outfit brushed against the floor, sweeping the dust up in the air. He was calm as he took small strides, each of them reflecting his determination. The candlelight shone on his body, forming a long shadow. The shrines of the warriors of Yan Bei stood behind him, consisting of his parents, his brothers, his ancestors, the nation's loyal subjects, Mister Wu, Lady Yu, Xiaohe, Huanhuan, Biancang, Xirui, AhDu, the leaders of the Xiuli Army who had sacrificed themselves while defending Beishuo, like Wu Danyu and Feng Ting... Many pairs of eyes seemed to stare at him as he walked out of the palace step by step, as he left the place where all the dead souls resided.