Chapter 86

((Editor: Nyoi-Bo Studio))

🌾🌺🌺🌺🌾🌾🌾🌷🌷🌷🌱🌱🌱🌷

In the faint light of the heavens, she seemed to see that man's figure again.

It was already deep into spring as the flowers fell like snow. That young man stood below a tree wearing his bright blue robe with a violet cloth belt. From afar, he casually asked aloud, "Aye! Which palace did you come from?"

Suddenly, the recollection was shattered. In her blurred vision, she could make out Wenyuan's worried face. Wenyuan's mouth was opening and closing profusely, but she could not make out what she was speaking.

She knew that she had probably fallen sick again. She was surrounded by others. There were some who were tugging on her limbs and shaking her anxiously. They shook her limbs so hard that she felt pain. Frowning, she was rather angry as she wanted to scold these people who did not seem to know how painful it was, yet she was unable to make any sounds. Even as she opened her mouth with all her strength, she seemed like a fish in the bottom of the ocean, unable to make any sound, much less breath.

Wenyuan was panicking as she snapped at the eunuch beside her, "Why did the Emperor not come? Have you gone to inform him?"

The young Eunuch's face was completely pale, and his voice was on the verge of crying as he knelt on the ground and replied, "This servant almost broke my legs running, and the message has been transmitted. Yet, Lady Cheng said that the Emperor is taking a nap. Whatever will wait until after he wakes."

"How ridiculous!" Wenyuan bellowed. "How dare she? Is this something that she could afford to take responsibility for?"

Seeing how she was enraged, the whole room sank into silence as they knelt on the ground. Yet, at this moment, Nalan Hongye thought that Wenyuan was getting out of hand, daring to speak such words. If such words reached the ears of Lady Cheng, it would undoubtedly be another turbulent incident.

Since she was unable to speak, she decided to continue closing her eyes and relax, letting the people around her continue to run around like ants on a hot plate.

Deep down, she agreed that Lady Cheng was indeed going overboard. Just because Lady Cheng had already given birth to two sons and the fact that her family background was strong, she had started to become lawless in her actions. Her selfish moves would prove to be fatal for the empire. It seemed like once Nalan Hongye got better, she would need to pay particular attention to suppress this Lady, else the entire court would be negatively influenced by her.

Nalan sighed in fatigue as she entered her pitch black dreamland yet again.

Lady Cheng's original name was Cheng Rongrong, cousin to General Cheng Yuan. After the Great Yan Empire had designated Zhen Huang as the capital, some of the women of the noble families of Yan entered the harem. Due to General Cheng's influence in the court, along with her own beauty, she had risen through the ranks quickly. In addition, she had successfully given birth to two sons, instantly turning into one of the most influential women, second to only the Empress. She was originally an intelligent woman, yet her mind had been clouded by the privileges she had enjoyed.

It was only when dusk came did Yan Xun finally wake up. Due to the urgent military intelligence that had just arrived last night, Yan Xun had not had the chance to sleep at all last night. Even as he woke up now, he still felt groggy.

Lady Cheng knelt on the floor, a layer of thin yellow silk cape draped over her figure. Seductively, she served him tea and started informing him of various matters. Yan Xun listened on, although mostly disinterested. Suddenly, one single sentence floated into his ear. He was slightly stunned, as he looked straight at Lady Cheng and asked, "What did you say?"