Chapter 12: The surprise attack

I am exited in this chapter & the next more. Keep in touch to know it.😊
Enjoy reading...
***********

“What happened? Why did we not hear of anything until now, even though the Tangshui Pass was attacked on September 16th?” Standing up, Cheng Yuan bellowed.

The messenger replied while panicking, “The entire force was trapped in the pass, as the enemy came without any signs. Not only that, but the enemy took all of the surrounding provinces. We did not have any chance to report.”

“Then why were the provinces near the region unaware of anything? How could they allow the war to drag on to such an extent?”

The messenger cautiously lifted his head up and stole a glance at Yan Xun. After a moment of hesitation, he quietly explained, “That region was Shangshen Highlands. Not only did most of the officials leave with Master Chu, but those who had remained heard that those enemies were there to rescue Master Chu. If they had not tried to conceal the enemies, that would already be praiseworthy. None would come to report. Even the local officials were tied up by the civilians.”

“What?” Cheng Yuan exploded in rage. “What do they want to do? Rebel? Where is the army? Where are the soldiers? Are they all dead? How could they not bother when they saw their officials tied up?”

“About that, this subordinate heard some rumors. The local forces helped the enemy to attack. Not only that, but they provided a detailed defense layout of the Tangshui Pass. If not for that, such a fortified city could not be so easily sieged.”

“How ridiculous!”

“So what is going on now?” a deep voice suddenly resounded.

Cheng Yuan spun his head around only to see Yan Xun questioning emotionlessly, “So the Tangshui Pass has been conquered. What is happening now?”

The messenger’s head was full of sweat. He trembled and delivered another shocking statement, “By the time this subordinate had been ordered to deliver the message, the Tang Navy had somehow received news about the siege, and was already lying in wait beyond the Pass. The moment the gates were opened, the Tang forces landed, and is now heading to Longyin Pass.”

“Who is their commander?”

“He was…the Emperor of Liang State.”

“How big are their forces?”

“At least 100,000.”

Yan Xun could hear Cheng Yuan taking a deep breath in shock. Yan Xun narrowed his eyes, and instantly recovered his aura of an emperor, as though he was looking upon all life from above.

Xiao Ce? Had he come himself? “Gather the troops? The First Army and Second Army are to gather at once! We will head to Longyin Pass!” Yan Xun declared

After merely six hours, the entire formation gathered at the foot of Huihui Mountain. Situated at the border of the Shangshen Highlands, they were not too far from both Tangshui Pass and Longyin Pass. Riding on his war horse, Yan Xun’s black robes fluttered in the winds. Following slightly behind him, Cheng Yuan quietly asked, “Your Majesty, are those who attacked on September 16th also from the Liang Empire?”

“No. That could not be.” Yan Xun shook his head. With his gaze staring into the distance, he quietly stated, “The Liang Empire is far from Yan Bei. If the fact that AhChu and I had fallen out reached Xiao Ce’s ears on the day itself, he could not have possibly rushed to Tangshui Pass by 16th. I believe it was another power who had received the information first before passing it to Xiao Ce, and attacked Tangshui Pass to open a path for the Liang Empire.”