Chapter 16:

This chapter dedicated to sis JaneAcuzar6 karlafrank1321 LeireenMolina julietdhear...

Enjoy reading. Be ready to fell in love & or cry again 😃

*************
THEY MEET AGAIN

Chu Qiao was completely stunned. In that split second, her mind reconstructed the figure of that certain man. With his sleeves fluttering in the wind, what kind of emotions must he have had to throw out the other half of the jade, before turning back on his horse, leaving this tree to which people prayed peace and serenity to?

Her tear glands started to hurt again, yet no tears dropped down. Standing there silently for a long time, rows of festival lights started to light up, yet she did not realize it. Only when a businessman selling colorful lanterns walked past did she finally return to reality.

The lanterns still had the same designs as in the past, looking exactly like the one she had. Silently looking on, she could not avert her gaze. The seller was impatient, and frowned while asking, “This Missy, are you done choosing?” Hurriedly, she paid up, and lifting that lantern, she stood on the road. With her lonesome silhouette, she seemed like a lost child.

The crowds gradually closed in, and she was swept along with the torrent of people. She was surrounded by warm laughter and friendly banter, with the sounds of drums and cymbals in the background, adding to the mood. There were some rich landlords shooting fireworks into the sky, and the fragrance of roast meat, wine, and the perfume of the ladies wafted in the air. There were some playing with their lanterns, some guessing lantern riddles, some drinking alcohol, some eating, some watching a play, and some performing various forms of arts. In this night, everything seemed more lively than normal. Happiness seemed to be found in every corner. Looking directly ahead, she walked in a straight line alone. Carefully holding the lantern, it was as though she was worried that someone would knock into it and damage it.

The bright light shone brightly on her face, making her seem ever so lonely. She was so lonesome, as though completely at odds with the hustle and bustle of the surroundings. There were people who saw her, but none paid her any heed. She just kept on walking so silently, passing through the gazes of so many, yet only her shadow walked beside her, and even she knew not of her destination.

Finally, as the candle depleted, there was only a weak flame. Carefully walking to the edge of the lake, she lifted the lantern up as the green water wet the corner of her skirt, yet she was completely unbothered by that. As layers of leaves swept onto her face and caressed her shoulders. It felt itchy, as though those branches were tickling her heart like the layers of fate that intertwined her with the others.

Yuwen Yue, it seems like in this life, I will be indebted to you. If possible, let us meet again earlier in a better time and location.

With her pale fingers pushing very slightly, the lantern floated into the distance. In the undisturbed lake waters, the lantern was like a small boat, creating light ripples, and along with the waves faded into the darkness of the night, as it drifted over the surface of the lake that was filled with reflections of the festival lights.

Standing up, Chu Qiao looked on. With the night breeze blowing onto her face, the chills felt like an arrow that grazed past her heart. With the myriad of colors that illuminated the night sky, her heart felt like the gradually distancing lantern. With the light flickering, it was as though it could be extinguished any time. That was then she made the decision to tear apart her last bit of hopes with her own hands. Her world collapsed by her own hands, as the pillars holding up her beliefs crumbled to dust and the silk curtains bleached to white. Her inner world had long ago lost any signs of life, as the indications of life had long ago disappeared, leaving behind only an endless grey void with no end in sight.