Chapter 38: The Palace

Qiu Sui stepped up, and with deference, she firmly declared, “Lady, after you left, His Majesty began to build this place, and after over two years, it was finally done.”

Many servants knelt on the ground and kowtowed upon seeing Chu Qiao arrive.

Chu Qiao walked along, only to see that the palace was constructed using sandalwood, and lighting was encapsulated in crystals, with fragrance exuding from the walls. The waves of the veils looked like a sea, and large crystals were embedded in the walls, emitting a weak light as though they were the moon in the night. There was a multicolored bird carved on the central pillar, decorated by golden powder, gleaming in the shine of the candlelight. At the side, there were drawings of Yulan flowers. The display had probably been aptly soaked with the Yulan aroma oils, as the fragrance of the flower wafted in the area. She was suddenly reminded of that night when he had childishly snatched the headdress of the maidservants and stuck it along with a flower into her head.

I hereby specially decree that, you, Lady Chu, for your diligence, wisdom, honorable conduct, along with your kindness and generosity, I will bestow upon you the title of (____). May you be blessed forever.

Below those scripts, there was the sign of Xiao Ce’s stamp, and only the title was not filled up.

Sun Di walked up, and firmly informed, “On that day, His Majesty had not decided on the title. Even after discussing with others multiple times, and even the Ceremonial Department sent some suggestions, His Majesty was still displeased, and as a result, it was left blank. Who knew, after delaying, he had lost the chance forever.”

Chu Qiao quietly stood there, and the light gently shone on her pale face. Biting her lips, her finger held the piece of paper with all her force that even her knuckle turned white.

Within the room, there were all kinds of rare treasures dowries that he had prepared for her. It was apparent that those items had been stored here for a long time.

Her tear glands started to warm up, as her brows furrowed up. Her voice was deep, with a slight tremble, as she calmly said, “Since I had not been given a title, that matter shall be left to rest. Do not bring it up again.”

Sun Di nodded, “Lady, you are indeed wise. It is pretty late already. Please rest, this subordinate will leave first.” As he finished his sentence, he left.

The maroon door slammed shut. The boom seemed like a distant thunder rolling past the floor of the mansion.

Mei Xiang walked over with a letter in her hand while frowning, “Miss, Master Yuwen sent letters again.”

Chu Qiao’s expression softened. Receiving the letter, she clenched it in her fist but did not open up to read its contents. The cold sweat in her palm soaked into the letter, turning it slightly moist.

Mei Xiang frowned, and reminded her, “Miss, this is the ninth letter. If you do not reply, Master Yuwen will get worried.”

Quietly sitting there, Chu Qiao did not respond. Her eyes stared at the candlelight by the window, as though her mind was lost in thought.

Yan Bei and the Wei Empires resumed their battles. Below Yanming Pass, there had already been four battles. The frontlines stretched all the way to the south side of Batuha lands.

Along with the Mu family in Ling Nan, and the young master of Jing, Jing Han, Yuan Yang had commanded the entire strength of the Southwest forces. They stood opposing Yuwen Yue and Yuan Che’s Northern forces at the Phoenix Tower. The situation in Wei was extremely volatile, as though things could fall apart anytime.

The Emperor had been sick for too long, and had already not appeared in court for over one year. Wei Guang had claimed that he was sick too, and had stepped away from the limelight of politics. Who knows what this cunning old fox was plotting. At this time moment, the entire scene in the Wei Empire was like a can of gunpowder. The moment anyone struck even a single match, it would explode into a fireball of chaos.