Chapter 53

An hour later, the conflict started to escalate in scale. The troops of the King of Ling involved themselves in the conflict, while the local pickets watched on. Regardless of how the civilians in the western part of the city cried out for help, they remained indifferent, claiming that they were waiting for orders from the higher-ups. They stood at the outside of the circumference, refusing to budge, as the people within started to clash with each other.

At this time, the big and small gangs, coupled with the stray hooligans, started to create chaos. After a few small skirmishes with each other, they realized that no one was keeping them in check, causing them to become more emboldened. Zhen Huang City was a mess as the civilians cowered in fear within their homes, not wanting to be implicated.

Chu Qiao ordered the troops to step up their security within the mansion as they sealed the doors, not allowing anyone to step outside. He Xiao and Yuwen Yue’s bodyguard, Yue Liu, was tasked with ensuring the internal security of the mansion. A short while later, the outside of the mansion was brightly lit; they had seemingly been surrounded by large groups of troops.

Yue Liu and the rest of his bodyguards gritted their teeth and whipped out their swords, ready to fight to the death. However, Chu Qiao was puzzled and ordered He Xiao to get a hold of the situation outside.

He Xiao came back quickly with the news that the inspector from the magistrate’s office had sent troops to protect the Chief Marshal’s residence, acting upon orders from the higher-ups. Swiftly, the noises around the mansion quietened down. Chu Qiao asked Yue Liu about what was going on, but he scratched his head and said that he had not heard of any such inspector before.

At around 9 to 11 pm, some noises started to echo outside the door. Chu Qiao had just stepped out of her room, as Yuwen Yue walked towards her hurriedly, dressed in purple. Upon seeing her, he asked, “Were you scared?”

Chu Qiao laughed in reply, “Do you think that I’m made of glue? When I was killing other people outside, your existence was still unknown.”

Yuwen Yue picked up his teacup and took a sip of tea. He smiled forcibly, before sitting down.

Chu Qiao asked, “What’s going on exactly?” She had not asked much about his matters. Firstly, given her identity and status, she was ineligible to know too much. Secondly, she no longer had any more energy to involve herself in these matters. However, she was particularly worried about tonight’s matters.

Yuwen Yue looked up and felt guilty upon seeing her worried expression. He held her cold hands and said, “Mu Yun and the rest are creating trouble. The southern gate has been taken over by Yuan Yang’s people. I came from the northern gates, hence I was slightly late.”

“How will they benefit from creating trouble? If it goes overboard, the Elders’ Clan will expel everyone back to their original locations. No one will get a share of the pie.”

Yuwen Yue laughed coldly and replied, “That’s the exact idea that they have.”

Chu Qiao frowned as she started to link the sequence of events together in her mind. She let out a long sigh and remarked, “That was close. Luckily you came out fast.”

Yuwen Yue patted her face and added, “Don’t be worried. I won’t be framed by these tactics.”

Presently, the conflict between Yuan Che and Yuan Yang was akin to the Southwestern Army pitting themselves against the Donghu Army. Prince Yuan Yang had the backing of the king of Ling and Young Master Mu, while Prince Yuan Che had the backing of Yuwen Yue’s Qinghai Army. Now that the Wei Emperor was severely ill, the various border troops stayed to guard the capital with their leader. This was against the rules; once anyone created any trouble, the border troops would be expelled to their respective locations. Yuan Che, Yuwen Yue, and Jinghan’s subordinates all belonged to the borders, with only Yuan Yang holding the power over Xiaoqi Camp, which belonged to the capital. Although that army of 30,000 was insignificant when on the battlefield, once the border troops were chased away, they would instantly become the dominant force of the capital. At that time, if Yuan Che did not return to the north with the Donghu Army, he would inevitably fall into Yuan Yang’s hands. With the departure of Yuan Che, the heir to the emperor’s throne would be all but confirmed.