Chapter 40: The Legal Guardian

The days turned colder as the seasons progressed deeper into autumn, and even the passing winds were tinged with the smell of chrysanthemum. The lotuses in the Tai Qing Pond had long ago withered, with the wilted sycamore leaves flooding the entire pond. The whole hall seemed quiet, like an undisturbed late, as Sun Di’s voice rang out in the deafening silence, and like the smell of incense, his voice lingered beside everyone’s ears.

“Princess Yunkang, Rank one Lady Huayang, Lady of Runan, Lady of Duanqing, Lady of Jingan, had all indicated their willingness to take care of the Emperor. In addition, King of Runan, King of Duanqing, King of Jingan, Master An, Master Yun, had all indicated their loyalty. The court is now split into two, with the generals mostly supportive of the King of Jingan, whereas the administrative officers were mostly in favor of the idea that the three ladies are to groom the Emperor together, and likewise the three Kings are to supervise the ruling together.”

As the breeze blow past, the plants outside the windows were swaying. Sitting on the soft mat, Chu Qiao donned a white robe for indoors. As she leaned one hand on the window, she lifted her chin as she looked on at the night sky that was decorated with Sycamores. The broad sleeves were drooping down, revealing a segment of her snowy white arm. In her dark eyes, one could not tell what she was thinking.

“The cavalry general Xie Xu led 70,000 of the Southern army and has already reached Sunset Mountains. They will be reaching the capital soon. This Xie Xu was a slave of the King of Jingan, and with him bringing his troops over, this man must be guarded against. I ordered General Xu Su to guard at Hanshui, and even if Xie Xu recognizes the new Emperor, he was to cross the Hanshui River alone without all of his soldiers.”

“Xie Xu?” Leaning on the window, Chu Qiao did not even turn her head around as she firmly continued, “During the rebellion by the King of Luo, we had not heard anything from him. He suddenly became so patriotic?”

Sun Di’s voice did not waver, as he replied firmly, “If we did not have a righteous cause, they would not be fully loyal, such is only logical.”

Chu Qiao’s eyes finally turned, as she looked upon Sun Di from the corner of her eyes. She had already guessed what he wanted to say, yet she did not give a definite reply, and merely turned around and observed the waves outside. For a long time, she did not speak.

“In addition, the son of Elder Liu, Liu Yuanzong, had contacted me. He indicated that when the time is right, he would like to contact some of the old allies of the Liu Family to assist you. Right now, all that they need is a good reason and an opportunity.”

Suddenly, there was a wave of hurried footsteps from beyond the palace. The duo turned around suddenly, only to see the Emperor wearing a golden dragon blouse running barefoot, tears covering his face. He pounced into Chu Qiao’s embrace and started to cry. Two nannies followed behind, and upon seeing Chu Qiao and Sun Di, they knelt on the ground.

The kid was small, and could only reach Chu Qiao’s waist. He cried while shouting, “Aunt! Mother had come to find me! Mother had come.”

Chu Qiao pulled the young emperor up and wiped away his tears with her handkerchief, before asking softly, “Did the Emperor have a dream again?”

The kid pouted, and continued to cry, “My Mother’s head was full of blood, and it all rubbed onto me.”

Chu Qiao soothed him, “Emperor, do not be scared, that is merely a dream, and it is not real. Your mother loves you so, why would she try to scare you?”

“Aunt–” Li Xiuyi continued to hug Chu Qiao in a tight embrace, refusing to let go.

Looking upon the Emperor, Sun Di showed pity. “The Emperor is still so young. If he lands in the hands of someone who wants to manipulate him, who knows how much pain he would go through.”