Chapter 14

In the piercing sunlight, her palm felt as though it had been burnt by fire, as if words had been engraved on her hand. Blood had filled her vision, as the mountains and lands collapsed before her eyes. She seemed to be witnessing some sort of surreal catastrophe, with weed overgrowing, the grounds split to give way to an ocean beneath. She had been abandoned alone, standing on a plain with fire burning all around her as the vast avalanche and the tsunami shadowed over her and buried her beneath. She was so tired, as she closed her eyes and sank towards that catacomb of darkness.

When Chu Qiao woke up, the rain had just stopped. The moonlight poked out from behind the clouds, spilling its gentle glow onto the bedroom of Mihe Residence. If felt as though it was in the peak of autumn, as the dewdrops fell on the sycamore leaves with crisp echoes. The palace was empty and deserted, and it was as though the entire world had died, with only her left. Slowly moving her body, the dry and cold wind pierced her body, reminding that she was still alive.

From the Rou Fu Palace, there were loud sounds of musical instruments playing. That was the nightly party that Xiao Ce held with his harem. Every night at this time, there will be some form of celebration that decorates this grandiose palace.

When Chu Qiao was first rescued, the court had a strong wave of opposition. The hundreds of officials endlessly expressed their disdain for Emperor Xiao Ce’s actions. After debating with them for over ten days, Xiao Ce finally flipped, and kicking down the throne, he bellowed that he did not want to be the Emperor anymore, and that whoever wanted to could take the throne from him. The officials lost their composure. Only after kneeling outside the Chang Xin Palace for two whole days did they manage to convince this Emperor who had skipped over 70 days of work in merely two years after being throned. Since then, no one dared to mention Chu Qiao again.

On the other hand, Xiao Ce’s behavior was comforting to the officials. Apart from how he had paid particular attention to Chu Qiao in the first few days, he had mostly returned to the playboy he was. With him returning to normal, the officials finally heaved a sigh of relief. Deep down, many thought that this Yan Bei woman must not have that much attractiveness anyways. The very fact that Xiao Ce even went ahead to save her was probably on a whim anyway.

When Xiao Ce entered, Chu Qiao had not made any noise, so he thought that he was still sleeping. Carefully tiptoeing, he acted like a burglar, resulting in the amusement of the maidservants who were watching. Covering their mouths, they did not dare to laugh out loud. After lifting up the veil and seeing Chu Qiao, who was sitting on the bed, Xiao Ce was slightly taken aback as he smiled and walked over. Holding an intricately made basket, he acted as though he was presenting some kind of treasure as he said, “Someone brought fresh pomegranates, do you want to eat?”

Chu Qiao did not reply. She still seemed drowsy, as though she had not fully woke up. Xiao Ce sat beside her and looked at her still pale and skinny face. His brows furrowed up very slightly before relaxing again. Picking up a pomegranate, he peeled it open, revealing the crimson pearls inside. Looking over, he smiled and brought it over to Chu Qiao’s mouth, and opened his mouth, as though telling her to open up and eat, before saying, “Qiao Qiao, open up, like me. Ahhh…”

“Xiao Ce, I have fully recovered.” Like a pool of undisturbed water, her voice was exceedingly calm.

Looking at her, Xiao Ce would often get the misconception that it was three years ago when she lived in his palace, and nothing had changed. Yet, he started to realize that things were already different. She would no longer confidently tell him about her dreams and ambitions, and would no longer talk about that man with a sparkle in her eyes, and had no longer had hopes and wishes for the future. Even her pair of eyes lost the shine she used to have, as though her crystal clear irises had been covered by a blanket of mist, completely muddled.