Chapter 18

Sorry for the long wait...
Been quite busy...😊
**********

At that time, even if Xiao Ce could protect Chu Qiao, it would have been impossible for him to protect the Xiuli Army unless he desired to completely fall out with the Wei empire. At that time, the Qinghai King suddenly raised the flag of the Wei Empire. Sending out missionaries, he had traveled over 4000 kilometers to defect to the Empire. It was only then that the world finally knew that the famous King of Qinghai was actually the fourth Master who was supposed to have died in Yan Bei two years ago.

The things that resulted were very natural. After returning to the royal capital, with his immense military power and the support from the Yuwen Family, he was able to replace Wei Guang as the head of the Grand Elder’s Council, and became the Grand Marshal of the Wei Empire. With that, it was only natural that he was able to veto the military plans that were made against the Liang Empire.

Chu Qiao refused to think about how much blood underlaid such political upheaval. After dabbling in the road of politics, she knew very well how deep the water could be. Even if it seemed to be calm on the surface, there would be countless undercurrents sweeping beneath.

With countless lanterns floating on the lake, it seemed like a sea of golden lights. Lifting up her head, Chu Qiao’s gaze was filled with a tinge of sadness. Looking at Yuwen Yue, she quietly asked, “I heard that the Elm tree is divine, and the older the tree, the more strong its divinity. As long as you give it your treasured belongings as a sacrifice, it will be able to provide protection for your friends and family. I wonder if it is true.”

Yuwen Yue did not speak, and merely stood there silently.

“Do you believe?” Chu Qiao asked, quietly.

Yuwen Yue’s long eyes narrowed. He lightly answered, “No, I don’t.”

Chu Qiao looked on at him, gently smiling. It was impossible to tell if she was happy or sad from his response. She slowly stretched out her hand, as her porcelain-like fingers opened up with her eyes shining like the stars. Yet, her heart ached a little as she softly asked, “Do you really not believe?”

Lowering his head, Yuwen Yue immediately saw the pair of jade ornaments that shimmered in the light. Instantly, he was dumbfounded.

“Yuwen Yue, I thought that I no longer had the chance to see you.” Chu Qiao gently smiled, yet it felt as though one could see a gleam of a teardrop in her eyes. With her lips trembling, she continued, “I thought that I could never repay you in this life.”

In the intense darkness of the night, Yuwen Yue’s figure seemed ever so heavy, as though he was giving an overwhelming aura that squeezed the breath out of Chu Qiao. With his jet black eyes staring straight into hers, he did not speak, and merely gazed on, as though he wanted to see through her. Suddenly, Yuwen Yue heaved a heavy sigh, before stretching out his arms to hold her in an embrace, before calmly replying to her, “Who asked you to repay?”

Just like that, Chu Qiao’s tears fell. Obediently, she cowered in his embrace, with a myriad of emotions swirling around in her heart. Leaning on his chest, she could smell the familiar scent from his body, as warmth filled her entire body. Silently, she closed her eyes, as the night wind caressed their bodies. For the first time in her life, she felt that the joyous atmosphere was ever so close to her, as though she could feel the jubilance just by breathing.