Chapter 49

Their Night

“Yuwen Yue?” she whispered as time passed slowly. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” he replied with a calm voice. In the few years that they had not seen each other, the arrogant man had seemed to grow up. An occasional cold look flashed across his eyes, which resembled the vicissitudes of life that he had been through. His voice was peaceful, yet sounded cold. His emotions were indiscernible to other people.

“Xing’er, you have suffered,” the man suddenly said.

Chu Qiao raised her eyebrows in suspicion as she replied, “What are you saying?”

“Whatever I owe you,” Yuwen Yue smiled, patted her face, and continued, “I will make it up to you in future.”

“Yuwen Yue, what’s wrong with you?”

Chu Qiao was a little nervous as she tugged at Yuwen Yue’s sleeve. She looked up and remarked, “I didn’t suffer. I was willing to.”

Yuwen Yue smiled again. He reached out his hand and held her in his embrace, leaning his chin onto her head. He held her without using any strength, as if he was holding a porcelain object. There were some things that he did not say, as he let those thoughts dissipate along with the winds that blew past. He had always thought that he was better than Yan Xun. Only when Chu Qiao was by his side, could she attain real happiness. However, on matters like these, he was no match for Yan Xun. Yan Xun had been a real gentleman over the ten years that they had spent together, yet he only had his selfish desires.

However, what could he do about it? When faced with her, his confidence often evaporated. As his happiness neared, he started to fear more and more. Hence, he wanted it all to himself.

However, after that, he worried even more about his personal gains and losses. He was a decisive man. For matters regarding conquests and riches, he was able to decide and gamble swiftly. Only when faced with her was he unable to do so. Sometimes, he mocked himself for landing himself into this state.

Chu Qiao leaned into his embrace as she continued to repeat, “It’s nothing. I did it willingly.”

He covered her mouth and carried her up as he started to walk towards the cabin.

Chu Qiao exclaimed as the umbrella fell to the ground. The thin raindrops fell onto her face, giving off a cold sensation. She protested with a low, soft voice, “Put me down! It’ll be bad if Meixiang and the rest sees this!”

Yuwen Yue looked down and said in a domineering tone, “Shut up.”

Chu Qiao frowned and retorted, “I don’t want to!”

Yuwen Yue laughed as he maintained his expression. He smiled but did not make a sound, as he lowered his head and kissed her forcefully. He stood in front of the cabin door and kissed her under the night sky, in the open, all the way until Chu Qiao was panting and felt weak all over her body. He laughed as he looked at her. With a slight arrogance in his voice, he said, “I have ways to make you shut up.”

Chu Qiao reached out both of her hands to cover her slightly swollen mouth. She looked at him angrily as she continued to protest in silence.

Yuwen Yue laughed again and carried her back to her room. Luckily, it was late in the night. Everyone had slept, and they did not encounter anyone on their way back.