Chapter 34: The Assassination

The short winters in Liang Empire meant that three months passed by in a flash. A few days earlier, news spread from the Song Empire that King of Jinjiang, having suspected issues with the Emperor's health, led some of his supporting officials to the imperial doctors for a public announcement of the Emperor's health. His proposition was rejected by Nalan Hongye, almost culminating into a fight. Rumors spread around in the Song Empire that the Princess sought to claim the throne, and that the previous Emperor's death was her doing. Unease spread in the region with rumors the King of Jinjiang secretly amassing forces, with some of the nobles already responding to his call for arms.

As Xiao Ce spoke about this, he frowned as he casually remarked, "If everything's fine, why didn't they shut these people up?"

Also silent was Chu Qiao, as she had guessed some things. They probably were not the only one with all the attention on the Song Empire. Chu Qiao wondered how the lady who had single-handedly supported Nalan empire for so many years would deal with this schemings? She couldn't help but recall the letter she saw at Yan Bei years ago, where it read: 'The mountain nurtured trees, yet the trees nourished their branches; My heart sought your happiness, yet you had not known.'

Who could remain forever firm? For as much as one could maintain a tough appearance, eventually comes a day of grief and sadness.

On the 9th of March, Xiao Ce's second son, Xiao Qiaoan, succumbed to typhoid fever at the age of three. Xiao Ce was at Xiang Lake inspecting a dam when he was first informed. Even though Xiao Ce immediately rushed home, by the time he arrived his son had already passed on.

At present, Xiao Ce had two sons and a daughter, his eldest son being six-years-old, his daughter four. The son that had just died was born to Lady Nanyun. The death of the child devastated her into an illness that led to her death merely three days after. Being too small to be buried in a coffin, his second son was cremated in Nantian Temple and was left to rest there.

In the past, Xiao Ce was always sober and could face various challenges with a clear mind. But that night, Chu Qiao saw him drunk for the very first time.

Squinting his eyes, Xiao Ce donned a light smile as he grabbed Chu Qiao's hand, murmuring as he drank, "Have I been killing too much?" He grabbed with such force that Chu Qiao's wrist hurt. The halls were quiet, and as the cold wind blew in it kicked up some dust, carrying with it the croaking of the frogs in the distant willows. Those soft distant noises made the destitute in this room stand out even more. On top, the copper crane candle stand, the candle's red molten wax dripped down like a lady's tears silently rolling down her cheeks.

The next day, Xiao Ce posthumously bestowed the title of Concubine Yun to Lady Nanyun at the entrance of the Imperial Tomb, giving closure and solace to her family.

Two months flashed by, and it was May. Lady Ziming safely delivered a son and had returned to the palace where a celebration.  Xiao Ce named the child Qingrong, and bestow upon him the title of King of Rong. In an instant, Lady Ziming had become the most powerful of the lady in the harem.

In private, the ladies in the palace discussed how she had in such a short period, conceived a child and ascended to power. Considering that, her time at the top would not be far away. Nevertheless, there were some who said she was born as nobody, with her family as fallen nobles and her father a criminal. And while her brother was climbing the ranks in the courts, their identities represented a barrier towards higher positions. Without family heritage and support, it would be difficult to establish a foothold.

It was only then Chu Qiao realized that she was not wholly unrelated to this lady. When Yuan Chun'er was hunting her,  Yuan Song entrusted Chu Qiao to Zhan Ziyu. And Zhan Ziyu was the brother of this Lady.