Chapter 23

As the sun rose above the morning fog, journeymen and merchants from the countryside passed by as they sang their tunes out loud while selling their merchandise. Gradually, the sun approached its zenith. Groups of horse riders passed by slowly, consisting of officials’ daughters on their way to the temple, armed escorts, and vigilante swordsmen often depicted in wuxia novels. Some of these people came up to greet her as they saw her standing in the pavilion. However, she did not see anything. She stood there quietly as her surroundings became noisier, then quietened down. As the sun rose and set, the moon took over as the main distinct object in the sky. It was crescent-shaped and silver in color, and resembled a mother’s benevolent complexion.

The landscape was desolate and deserted. She stood alone; her limbs had turned numb. As the sky gradually darkened, she could not see anything else but the pale moonlight shining on the weeds. Her journey, her future… everything had disappeared. She took a deep breath and lowered her head, shaking her neck which had turned stiff. She released her pent-up frustrations by sighing to herself from within, and then burying it deep in her heart.

The light breeze swept across the vast plains, causing the blades of grass to rustle. Her heart was empty as many past memories flashed across her mind. Everything had become distant; only a piece of barren white ground remained. Everything that she had experienced the past ten years went up in smoke, all that was left was a bleak, desolate outlook.

She turned around and grabbed the horse’s reins. The horse turned around gently and brushed its head against Chu Qiao’s face, looking at her in worry.

“Hurhur,” Chu Qiao laughed as she felt a little itchy. This was Liu Xing, her horse which Yuwen Yue had returned to her after raising it for many years. They remained as close as ever. She reached out her hand to push him away and chided in a hoarse voice, “Liu Xing, stop it.” Her hand brushed across her cheeks accidentally, as she realized that the winds had inflicted some wounds on it. She was stunned as she turned towards Liu Xing. The horse turned forcefully towards the north and snorted at her, wanting to bring her after a certain someone.

“Good boy,” she stroked its head gently as she leaned on its neck. The horse had aged, just like her heart, which had been scarred by countless experiences. “Let’s go,” she stood upright and pulled her horse along as she walked towards the south.

The moonlight shone on her body, casting a long shadow on the white ground. The nocturnal crows were alarmed as they flew across the path. The young lady’s shadow slowly faded into the distance, finally disappearing after some time. Perhaps, calmness and tranquility traditionally preceded the storm.

It was the seventh day of the new year. The city of Zhen Huang was still submerged in a joyous mood. A bout of heavy snowfall had enveloped the city in white. A group of soldiers entered the city gates to the salutation of the sentries, until they disappeared at the end of the long street.

Yuwen Yue entered his residence by the rear gate. Outsiders who harbored the hope of fishing out any intel had their dreams dashed, as the servants of Qingshan Court had made preparatory works many days in advance. Yuwen Yue stepped into the courtyard emotionlessly as he threw his cloak into Huan’er’s hands. With a heavy tone, he questioned, “Where’s the person?”

“He’s inside. He has been waiting for a long time.”

As the room doors were pushed open, a fragrant sandalwood smell drifted out from inside. A man dressed in a black robe stood up; he was handsome, the contours of his face were defined. The look in his eyes was sharp and intimidating, yet graceful. The two of them exchanged stares for a while. Finally, the cold look on Yuwen Yue’s face thawed away as he broke out in a smile. He took a step forward as both parties patted each other on the shoulder forcefully, then embraced each other.