Chapter 29

When she got back to the horse carriage, Meixiang was waiting for her happily. Chu Qiao sat down quietly, her heart still palpitating from earlier on. Had she been too rash?

"Miss," Meixiang laughed as she spoke, "some things cannot be dealt with rationally in this world. I feel that you were too calm previously. Being impulsive for once is not a bad thing too."

Chu Qiao turned around and looked at Meixiang in awe, clearly surprised by her intricate observation skills.

Meixiang continued to laugh as she said, "Miss, don't you know? You give away everything through the expression on your face now. Compared to your past self, I feel that you are more likable now."

As the horse carriage started to move off, Pingan walked over and asked, "Sister, are we going to follow those people?"

"Of course we're going with them!" Jingjing opened the curtains and butted in. "We're not just following them. We'll be living together in the future! Haha!"

Meixiang poured a cup of ginseng tea for Chu Qiao as she sighed softly. "Miss, not everyone will wait for another person year after year. For some things, if you don't grab the chance now, you will regret it if things change in the future."

The warm winds blew into the carriage as it lifted the curtains slightly, appearing like the touch of a mother's warm finger. The sky was blue; the eagles circled in the sky above the clouds, far away from the happenings of the human world.

Chu Qiao sat on the stone steps as she gazed at the sky over the horizon. The flowers in the courtyard were in full bloom, appearing a crimson red and a bright yellow, which was soothing to the eye.

The waiter at the inn, a young boy of about 13 to 14-years-old, sat on his small bench as he diligently prepared some tea. Jingjing and Pingan sat at the side as they chatted along with him. Chu Qiao overheard them talking about various topics, from the sceneries of the flat plains, to the ancient streets of Qiuling along the southern borders, to Wei's swordhouses, to Liang's Wuya Mountains, and finally to Yan Bei's Huihui Mountains. As the conversation started to heat up, Jingjing took out a packet of candied fruit and started to chew on it as she talked.

Meixiang sat under a camphor tree at the side as she tried to make a wreath. Her hands weaved around expertly and with agility, captivating the attention of anyone who looked towards her.

As the sky darkened, the courtyard was shrouded in a blanket of lights as the daytime heat slowly dissipated. Jingjing requested a few bowls of cold fruit from the kitchen, which looked deliciously palatable.

The torrential downpour earlier on had damaged the bridge in front of Qiufeng City. Chu Qiao and her party's schedule was delayed, forcing them to remain in Qiufeng City for two more days before continuing their journey up north. Presently, they were housed in a small inn by a hill and a lake. The inn was built on top of the hill. As the contours of the hill bobbed up and down, it looked like a forested area due to the high concentration of trees.

Chu Qiao's room was on top of a stone cliff high up, facing the west. The innkeeper was presumably a man of culture as well; this place was next to Sunset Mountains, hence it assumed the name of "Sunset Courtyard". Every evening, the view of the sunset was beautiful.

Yuwen Yue stayed in Guicang Inn, located next door. On the afternoon of the previous day, he sent some people to aid in the reconstruction works of the bridge and the crossing, along with the officials. He had urgent matters to attend to, hence he initiated the gesture of goodwill.

It rained all the way from morning to afternoon. The trees were lush; the flower petals hovered in the sky as they fell to the ground. The sight was charming.