Chapter 60

THE GRAND WEDDING
* * * * *
Chu Qiao’s fingertips were turned pale as the sounds of armor clashing resurfaced in her mind as though she had always been listening to a symphony.

“Master, will you follow me?”

Chu Qiao shook her head and lightly smiled. “I will stay here.”

He Xiao nodded as he bowed. “Take care, Master.”

There were some dew drops on the outside of the window, as the moon hung brightly in the night sky. Chu Qiao looked at the white moon hanging in the sky as she murmured, “A storm is brewing.”

Zhuge family sent three different servants to take care of Chu Qiao before her wedding but all had been sent back. The Jing family had also sent a few people, but Chu Qiao had ignored their offers. At the end of the day, it was Meixiang who accompanied Chu Qiao on the night before the wedding.

Meixiang, who was usually strong and steady, was trembling for once as she donned Chu Qiao with the red silk dress that was covered almost entirely with embroideries. The mandarin ducks embroidered symbolized eternal fidelity; peony flowers flourished in the background. Illuminated by the flood of lights, the entire scene seemed as if it were flourishing.

Tears began to overflow from the corner of Meixiang’s eyes as the corners of her mouth curled upwards. Chu Qiao stretched out her hand to wipe away the tears on Meixiang’s face before embracing this woman who had followed her for so many years. Right now, Chu Qiao seemed more beautiful than ever with the freshly applied makeup on her face.

“Missy.” Meixiang returned the embrace as she sobbed. “Missy… Missy…” She could no longer formulate proper sentences as she remained in that position and kept calling Chu Qiao as she freely let her tears flow.

The next day, Chu Qiao finally welcomed her marriage.

With the ceremonial officials from the Tang Empire guarding her side, the ceremony followed the precise procedure of a noble marriage. The carriage set off from Zhuge residence before reaching the Tang’s Embassy. First, the decree from the late Tang Emperor, Li Ce, was read aloud, before the words of gratitude from the current Tang Emperor, Li Shuyi, were announced, after which, she headed out, welcomed by a symphony of instruments with fanfare following her wherever she went. It was such a spectacle.

Civilians crowded like a sea of bobbing heads. 80 bridesmaids sat in a series of smaller carriages following behind her, and at the end of the convoy, there was a group of Zhuge Family’s relatives along with other nobility. Chu Qiao’s palm was sweating, as the bright crimson veil covered her vision, and she could only hear the sound of the fanfare.

At this juncture, Chu Qiao started to feel nervous as the convoy approached the Grand Marshal residence. Chu Qiao already knew the routes and procedure by heart, and she understood that if all went according to plan, the Tang officials would hand her carriage over to the ceremonial officials of the Xia Empire at the Peacock Bridge up ahead. Zhuge Yue would be there to welcome her.

Yet, although they were still far from the destination, her carriage suddenly came to a halt. Chu Qiao’s heart skipped a beat, as she heard a chime that from Sheng Jin Palace.

14 desolated chimes rung out in the heavens. There were five long chimes with nine short ones, starkly different from the usual nine long, five short chimes that symbolized the authority of the Emperor. At this moment, the sound seemed ever so forlorn and serious, as the wind carried the sound along, spreading the mood all over the prosperous lands.

All those who were walking, standing, watching, scurrying around, all stopped dead in their tracks as even the heavens faded into silence. Even the birds in the skies seemed to halt. Someone reacted first. Others followed suit as the masses of people suddenly prostrated in the direction of Sheng Jin Palace. Wailing sounds could be heard all over the city, particularly from Zi Wei Square where crowds had gathered.