Chapter 90

Father had left, Hongyu had left, Xuan Mo had left, and now, Aunt Yun had left.

Finally, all those who loved her had left, leaving her alone thousands of miles away from home. Perhaps she would never feel the warmth of the sun again, and never smell the slightly salty smell of the sea.

She felt an intense urge to cry, but her eyes were completely dry. An intense heartache overwhelmed her as her throat suddenly tasted a sweet liquid coming out from within. Yet, she continued to stand there just like that. It was only when the entire front of her clothes turned red did Wenyuan take notice and started shrieking in horror, and only when the crows flew far away did she fall limply to the ground. In the vast snow, she felt like she saw the younger Aunt Yun again, looking at her gently as she cooed her name.

After Aunt Yun had passed on, Nalan Hongye was like a withering lotus as she got weaker with every passing day.

The weather turned colder, the wind ruthlessly swept across the entire continent. The imperial doctors would make countless trips to her residence daily, as all kinds of rare medicine started to stream into Dongnan Palace, yet nothing seemed to work.

That noon, the snow finally subsided. It was a radiant afternoon as Wenyuan organized a snow fight for the younger servants in the courtyard as Nalan Hongye finally caught a breath of fresh air outside of her room. Wearing a thick robe made out of wolf fur, she sat on the soft chair. With the joyous cheers spreading throughout the palace, even the gloomy mood seemed to have been lifted a bit.

Suddenly, a light voice could be heard. Nalan Hongye turned her attention away, only to see Doctor Wang and Doctor Lu discussing something. It seemed like they did not see her, and spoke rather loudly.

Doctor Wang was an official from Song and now was already over 70. She could see that his brows were interlocked in a deep frown. Even though they were louder than usual, she could only catch a few words due to the distance between them. Something along the lines of 'completely exhausted', 'overthinking', 'completely worn out', 'medicine ineffective'

"What are you discussing, Doctors?"

With the soft questions, the two doctors finally raised their heads as they finally saw Wenyuan glaring at them through the door, with Nalan Hongye sitting at the side looking calm, as though she had been listening on for a while.

The two of them immediately jumped to the ground and started to apologize.

Nalan Hongye did not speak much, and merely turned around and continue to watch the servants' snowball fight. It was as though she had not heard the conversation just now.

During dinner, Wenyuan chatted with her and realized that she was in a rather good mood, and took the opportunity to comfort her by telling her not to take those doctors too seriously. Scolding them, Wenyuan said that they were already old and had started to become senile. Nalan Hongye listened to her while smiling, before drinking the medicine, then went to sleep early.

The very next day, there was a new batch of doctors. Nalan Hongye did not oppose the change, and obediently listened to the doctors to take care of her health. Even though she did not seem to have recovered, her situation did not get worse. The doctors were all rather happy and claimed that once the winter was over, her situation would definitely improve.

Hearing that, the servants were overjoyed, and it so happened that the lantern festival was soon. Wenyuan led the other subordinates in the palace to decorate the entire Dongnan Palace. With all kinds of decorations hanging, it was like preparing for marriage. Nalan Hongye naturally knew what they were up to, but she did not prevent them from doing so, and merely watched on from her bed, rarely speaking.