Chapter 33

He Xiao lowered his head and replied, “I do not dare.”

“By saying this, you’re blaming me.” Chu Qiao smiled bitterly, her smile disappearing in an instant as she continued, “No matter whether you believe me or not, we have been through many battles together all these years. I have always regarded you as my best friend. By leaving, I did not mean to abandon all of you.”

“I understand.” He Xiao suddenly looked up, reverting to a state of calmness and shedding his aura of glory which he had demonstrated on the battlefield. Quietly, he added, “I have never blamed you. You were looking out for us, giving us the best escape route. I understand all this.”

This was the first time that they addressed each other by name. He looked at her quietly as he spoke slowly, “All these years, I witnessed as you soldiered on. I understand the difficulties that you faced. Perhaps, sometimes, I thought that I had been selfish back then. If I had sorted out my thoughts, I would not have let circumstances drive you to desperation. Even if the Southwest Emissary’s Garrison had become bandits, or if every one of us died, we should not have let you shoulder this responsibility, opposing the king of Yan Bei, resulting in this state today.”

Chu Qiao shook her head as she thought to herself. There had already been irreconcilable differences between Yan Xun and herself. Even without the existence of the Southwest Emissary’s Garrison, other reasons would have culminated in their fallout. It was but a matter of time.

He Xiao did not wait for her to speak as he spoke frankly, “After all, you’re just a young girl. Back then, we failed to see this clearly.” He looked up and smiled gently, like an elder watching over his descendants. “Your Majesty had said before, ‘Only if you abandon the past entirely, can you attain inner peace’. By not calling you ‘General’, it doesn’t mean that I’m distancing myself from you. It just means that I hope you will be able to put the past behind you and live a life for yourself.”

The water droplets, which had accumulated on the branches and leaves on the trees, fell to the ground, landing on Chu Qiao’s white shoes. She raised her eyebrows as she felt touched.

“Although Liang is a warm place, it’s cold now. Miss, you should go back earlier.” As he finished his sentence, he stepped aside for Chu Qiao to leave. However, she suddenly called out, “Brother He.”

He Xiao was utterly stunned as he jerked his head up vigorously to look at her.

Chu Qiao said in a heavy tone, “We have known each other for many years, going through life and death together. We are comrades on the battlefield, and family outside the battlefield.”

The desolate winds streamlined across the forest. He Xiao’s gaze became momentarily distracted. After a long while, he maintained his posture and took a small step back. With a heavy tone, he declared, “I’m going to the southwest to assume a new appointment. We might not have the chance to meet again.” As expected, he had already known.

Chu Qiao’s fingertips turned slightly cold. As she looked at He Xiao’s lonely shadow, she began to feel a little choked. She nodded quietly and said, “Take care.”

Following which, she turned around and exited the pavilion. She had barely taken a few steps outwards when a voice rang out from behind her, “Xiaoqiao, take care.” She turned around to see He Xiao standing there quietly, as he maintained his posture. The wind blew across his clothes; revealing patterns of greenish-brown clouds that had been embroidered on his uniform. A shade of green could be seen around his waist; he was still wearing the belt when he was still part of the Xiuli Army back then. He stood there quietly, his head lowered; it was hard to comprehend that he had uttered those words which had acknowledged their now different relationship status.