Chapter 35

“Empress Dowager, Your Majesty is alright. He needs to recuperate.”

The Empress Dowager chided as tears streamed down her face. “All of you! How do you do your jobs? If something happens to Your Majesty, all of you will die with him!” As she finished her sentence, she walked towards Yixin Palace.

The servants kneeled on the ground in fear, not daring to raise their heads. No one dared to block her way. Chu Qiao followed behind her, all the way to Yixin Palace. Xiao Ce was sound asleep; as the Empress Dowager saw him, tears streamed down her face. She leaned forward as she tried to touch his face.

One of the Empress Dowager’s palaces maids walked in front of Chu Qiao, frowned, and asked, “Who are you? Why are you here? The Empress Dowager is visiting Your Majesty. Outsiders are not welcome.”

Meixiang frowned. As she prepared to argue, Chu Qiao tugged at her sleeve, nodded, and said, “Got it.” As she finished her sentence, she stepped out of Yixin Palace with Meixiang and the others.

“Miss? Your Majesty asked you to keep him company.”

Chu Qiao sighed in reply. “His mother is back. What right do we have to stay inside?”

Qiu Sui added on from the side, “The Empress Dowager dotes on Your Majesty a lot.”

Suddenly, General Sun Di approached them from the front. As he saw them, he froze and asked, “Miss, why are you not inside?”

Meixiang cut in and said, “The Empress Dowager is back. She chased Miss out!”

“Empress Dowager?” Sun Di was stunned as he heard the news, taking huge strides towards Yixin Palace as he shouted in a low voice, “Who fetched the Empress Dowager back? No one knew of the assassination attempt on Your Majesty. Why is she back?”

Suddenly, an ear-splitting cry of agony echoed out from Yixin Palace. Sun Di and Chu Qiao were stunned as they pushed open the doors of Yixin Palace forcefully!

The Empress Dowager was holding a dagger in her hands, her sorrowful face stained with blood. She no longer looked like the warm, gentle lady. She appeared like a demoness as she stood in front of the window, shouting incessantly, “I’ll kill you! I’ll kill you! I’ll take revenge for Luo’er!”

Chu Qiao’s mind blanked out.

The sunlight entered the palace from the gates. It was bright and blinding. The surroundings were chaotic; some people were shouting in panic, screaming for help, while others rushed to summon the imperial physician. The imperial bodyguards rushed in front as they wielded their swords, which gave off an intense silver glow, casting white shadows on the ground.

She stood there, rooted to the spot, her eyes feeling irritated by the excessive light. In that instant, the sun seemed to turn cold. As it shone on her, she felt chills at her fingertips, slowly enveloping her entire body. Her heart started to palpitate; it seemed like it could jump out of her mouth anytime. She began to feel choked, as breathing slowly became more and more difficult.

The Empress Dowager’s clothes had been stained red by blood. Her sickly, pale face showcased the state of madness that she was in. Her eyes were bright; her expression was savage. Despite being restrained, she did not struggle. With immense hatred in her voice, she declared coldly, “You beasts. All of you deserve to die. I killed him. Now, I will kill all of you to avenge my husband and son.”

That instant, Chu Qiao saw the look in his eyes.

For the first time in her life, she felt that she saw his heart through his eyes, unlike the past times where his expression had been so unpredictable. That instant, she saw the flurry of emotions in his eyes clearly – the feelings of suppression and the sense of disappointment.