Chapter 63

* * * * *
In less than two days, over 200,000 refugees had gathered at the roads along Songjiang, engaging in a standoff with the soldiers who were in their way. They included nobles, families, soldiers, and civilians who had escaped from the ravaged southwest regions.

As the roadblocks had been destroyed, the army of 20,000 soldiers could not stop the crowd from surging forward. A vice-general stood in front of the team, shouting hoarsely in a loud voice as he ordered the people to turn back and fight. However, no one paid attention to him. Wei Shuye rode on his horse as he looked on at the people passing by him.

After everyone had left, only a group of about ten boys remained. Some of them looked 14 or 15 years old, while some of them looked 11 or 12. They approached the vice-general timidly as they raised their hands, saying that they were willing to join the army. The vice-general was shocked as he realized that his words had proved not to be useless. He asked the boys for their reasons in joining the army. Was it that they knew how to defend their country in times of need? However, the children stated that their rations had been stolen by the fleeing soldiers in front of them. They had been forced into a dead end.

The army of 20,000 soldiers fell into silence in front of this group of children.

Wei Shuye ordered his troops to give them dry rations and clean water, as he watched them run off in joy.

It was even more chaotic after he had entered the southwestern borders. There were no traces of human beings as they passed by a ghost town; only the sounds of their own heavy footsteps were audible. When they reached a small square in that town, they were stunned. Tens of male corpses were hung on a big elm tree; mountains of burnt corpses over two human beings tall were piled up on the ground. In addition, lots of female corpses were found as well; it was evident how cruelly they had been tortured to death.

The entire army fell into silence once again. they were seasoned war veterans who had killed many people in their lives. However, at this moment, some of them started to weep quietly. As soldiers, if they were not able to defend their own country and their own people, what was the meaning in their existence?

Their homes had been destroyed. Their houses had been flattened, while the fertile lands had been turned to wastelands. A picture of prosperity had crumbled to dust as the ghost town lay in front of them. The vibrant life that once populated this town had been turned into lifeless corpses, whose pungent scents attracted hordes of vultures. This was a catastrophic, nightmarish sight.

Wei Shuye was unable to understand why the Yan Bei troops were so brutal. At that moment, he felt immense anger boiling within him as he held his sword tightly in his grasp. As they met with further conflicts subsequently, he began to solve the mystery of his question.

It turned out that the Yan Bei troops were not the first group of soldiers to enter Xia territory. Yan Xun had opened up Baizhi Pass by eliminating a few military camps along the way. Then, he stepped out of Xia territory and occupied the pass. He did not let a single troop into Xia territory but chose to publish a notice to the bandits along the highlands of Yan Bei, the southern wastelands, Helan Mountains, and the deserts along the northwest, telling them to attack Xia as they pleased.

Hence, group after group of bandits infiltrated Xia territory, carrying out their brutal rampages. As they did not hold any sentiments towards this piece of land, only believing passionately in robbing and killing, they carried out every single vile act that could be described without even batting an eyelid. The merciless bloodshed had alarmed the soldiers and noble families there, as they prepared to strike back. However, as they heard of the rumors of the enemy’s prowess along the southwest, they gave up their resistance efforts, fleeing together with the civilians. In a few days, the southwest had fallen into Yan Bei’s hands, without them even participating in an official battle!