Chapter 43: The Coronation Day

“The Chu family is blessed to have produced such an outstanding heir to the family. They are benevolent, well-learned, and respectful. They are virtuous and kind people who are harmonious and cultured. With this, Chu Qiao is given the title of Royal Imperial Concubine. She will supervise the country’s affairs, to ensure its prosperity.”

A loud, stern voice reverberated across the brightly lit landscape. A crown, made of pure gold, was placed in front of the ancestral temple’s altar. Objects like the imperial jade seal, brushes were placed alongside the crown; those were objects that anybody would die to own, for it signified the holder’s wealth and power. Upon taking another step forward, she would hold those items in her hands―no one in the world would be able to hurt her easily anymore.

She stood atop the Phoenix Stand, looking at the numerous shadows kneeling under her. She saw jealousy, resentment, fright, fear, hesitation, and a tinge of expectation amongst those shadows, but nothing made her feel warm inside. The jade steps below her feet were cold, and so was the sunlight.

The scholar from the Department of Rites knelt in front of her, with a letter seal in his hands. The man, who was about 70-years-old, lowered his head as his aging knees trembled.

The wind blew past the eagles circling in the sky. She looked up at the majestic, red city gates of the Liang Capital. The gates, which had experienced countless storms over the past hundreds of years, seemed to stare back at her, in anticipation of this historic moment. As long as she received that item, she would hold absolute power over a quarter of this world.

That instant, she seemingly saw that pair of eyes again, with its trademark cold look on the outside, but with passion on the inside. His face was handsome as he gestured: Remember to wait for me! Remember! Wait for me!

The siren to signal the start of the coronation ceremony suddenly blared out. Outside the Liang Capital, a solitary warhorse stood at the entrance of a bridge. The wilted, yellow autumn grass swayed with the wind as the sunlight projected its golden rays onto the barren wasteland.

He was dressed in purple with his hair neatly combed. He was handsome and had a deep look in his eyes. A gust of wind blew past him, with some air entering into a bell he hung by his neck, causing it to let out some soft words.

“Remember, I’m waiting for you.”

I’m waiting for you… I’m waiting for you…

The majesty of the landscape was once again illustrated as the sun rose above the layers of clouds.

Boom! A sound suddenly echoed out from the southern city gates, causing even the ancestral temple to shake.

A huge cloud of dust started to form on the horizon to the south. More sirens started to blare as many horses started to gallop towards the ancestral temple. The soldiers on the horse shouted, “The king of Jingan is here with his troops! General Xu Su has defected to the enemy! The king of Jingan is here with his troops! General Xu Su has defected to the enemy!”

In that instant, the city fell into chaos. Everyone’s faces started to turn grim. Sun Di stood below the platform as his face started to turn pale. The 70-year-old man fell to the ground as the seal in his hands fell onto the white jade steps, giving off its golden glow.

Chu Qiao walked down the steps slowly and stood in front of Sun Di. He looked up at her with a cold and fearful look in his eyes.