Chapter 27: Her Journey

As midnight loomed, the mountainous ranges gave way to a flat piece of grass plains. The guide mentioned that this place was Youyou Plains, and that the Sunset Mountains lay ahead. After the Sunset Mountains, they would arrive at the biggest city in the southwest, Qiufeng City. Using Qiufeng City as a reference point, Tang Jing was situated to its east, while Baishui Pass was located to the north. The territory of Wei laid outside Baishui Pass.

These few days, the party had traversed along the mountain ranges. When they finally saw the flat plains, everyone’s mood brightened up. The sight of the flat plains was always the same—a tree could be seen from afar. Although its distance was often perceived to be not too far away, it often required a day’s journey by horse to arrive there. After wandering along Youyou Plains for two whole days, they finally arrived at Sunset Mountains.

The name of this mountain was glorious, along with its sceneries. A few peaks stood tall beside each other, decorated with lush green trees and dense clusters of flowers. A waterfall flowed downwards from the top of the peaks, forming a white stream. As the water vapor lingered in the air, it gave off the aura that the place was a utopia. As Qiufeng City was nearby, the mountain roads were wide enough to accommodate two horse carriages side by side. As the sun set, the landscape glowed a bright red along with the forests and flowers. The sceneries remained as beautiful as ever; the mountain deserved its name after all.

That night, Chu Qiao ordered her party to set up camp at the foot of a valley. When the servants heard the orders, they cheered in joy. Evidently, they were fatigued, having traveled non-stop for a few nights without any sleep. Before they managed to fall asleep, the howls of wild wolves drifted from not far out into their ears, sending chills up their spines.

Jingjing’s face turned pale in fear as she curled up against Meixiang in the tent. She closed her eyes as she tried to drift off to sleep, but to no avail. Chu Qiao felt a little worried. The hungry wolves in the southwest were renowned for their savagery. Presently, Chu Qiao did not have a large group of people with her. The majority of them were hired bodyguards and carriage operators. Also, there were women in the group. If they bumped into the wolves, there would be dire consequences. Hence, she summoned Pingan and gave him a few orders. Then, she told everyone to prepare themselves, before she dared to let her guard down a little.

As the latter part of the night approached, the howls of the wolves became louder, along with the shouts of some men. Chu Qiao put on her coat and went outside. She ordered a few people to guard the camp, and wandered towards the source of the sound with Pingan and over ten other bodyguards. As they had just navigated through the first slope, a pungent smell of blood lingered in the air. All of them took a careful look in front, only to see a group of over 100 wolves attacking a group of men on their horses in another valley below them. Although they were outnumbered by the wolves, they were agile and organized in their movements. Evidently, they were people that were not to be trifled with. However, the wolves were equally savage as they flashed their sharp, white teeth. As they flocked together, they seemed to be emboldened by their strength in numbers, fearlessly engaging in combat against the humans.

As blood splattered everywhere, the pungent smell became more intense. Cries of agony reverberated in the air, sending chills up everyone’s spines once again.

“Sister?” Pingan frowned as he continued in a heavy tone, “There are too many wolves. If these people cannot beat them, neither can we.”

Chu Qiao nodded as she ordered, “Everyone, prepare yourselves.” Her entourage was made up of people who were experienced pugilists. Although they were not as capable as an army, they were brave and courageous. They prepared their bows and arrows as they assumed their posture, waiting for Pingan’s orders to strike.