Chapter 42: The Preparation

At this very moment, there was coincidentally a group of people who were about to disembark from Xian Yang Port. A few weary men led a few horses and quietly reported, “Message from home. No one knew that the Young Master is absent. The Seventh Master informed that Young Master could proceed with his own business, and as long as you return within the next ten days, all will be well.”

The man in a violet outfit frowned ever so slightly, and with his crimson red lips, his eyes were like a bottomless well that no one could see through. Mounting a horse in a swift motion, his features vaguely showed some signs of being weathered by the elements.

“This trip to Tang Jing is merely three days if we take the shortcut. The problem is that there will be no major cities along the way, and it will be disastrous if anything goes wrong.”

“We have no time. Let us take the shortcut.”

A servant turned around, and looking at the man in violet, he suggested, “Master, shall we prepare a carriage? You have not slept well for a few days.”

“That would be unnecessary.” The man shook his head, before solemnly asking, “Is there any news from Tang Jing?”

“After Lady Chu defeated Zhan Ziyu, the entire court was brought to peace. There were merely some minor disagreements over who should watch over the young emperor. This subordinate feels that Lady Chu might end up following through the plot of one of them.”

“She dares to?!” The man snorted, his expression looking rather gloomy. “I’d like to see who dares to do that!”

The crowd followed this man’s lead and all mounted their horses. In the swift galloping of the horses, they quickly disappeared on the ancient roads of Xian Yang. Before long, they were out of the city, and through the West gate, they took a small path. After such a long parting, everything had changed, and even the people were no more.

Time flies. In the blink of an eye, tens of years had passed. Suddenly, she was no longer that young girl who radiated childishness, and he was no longer that stubborn young man. Time had once again drew countless boundaries between them originating from family, country, love, war, separation. But ultimately, their relationship was like an endless thread. No matter how hard destiny tried to pull, they remain tied together by that red string.

Wind bellowed from the distant Yan Bei, caressing the vast territories of the Wei Empire, passing by the still-warm Liang Empire, before turning into the blossoming flowers in the Song Empire, and finally reaching the unending waves of the ocean in the east, vanishing into the waves.

“The road is still long, and we may face with even more change. Are you afraid?”

“I am not.”

“Remember, I am waiting for you.”

The night was so cold, with only moonlight as illumination, the long stretch of the ancient dirt road was dimly lit up. The fragments of memories from the past had ultimately still been filtered by the blood and war, washing away the initial sense of happiness and hope. Calmness remained to logically divide the past emotions and the best course of action for the current situation.

“It is a pity. Ultimately, I do not believe in destiny!”

As the horse hooves rumbled, the night seemed to be everlasting. The Liang capital that he had not seen for so long was now right before his eyes. The news that General Xiuli was about to be bestowed the title of a consort was spread throughout the entire  Liang Empire in merely one night. Shennan, Dianxi, Yuelin, Yunmo, and other areas sounded out protests in unity. Particularly strong was the resistance from the Southern regions. King of Jingan, King of Duanqing, and Duke Huayang had raised flags of rebellion in quick succession.