Chapter 55

She actually cried for a man who had caused the deaths of her siblings, and who had imprisoned her for many years.

She remembered that morning when the bad news spread into the Yuwen residence. Yue Shisan barged into the doors of Qingshan Courtyard, with dust all over his body, followed by the servants of the courtyard. Before they had time to react, they ransacked the entire place. Thereafter, the officials from Shang Lü Court, the yamen from the Great Temple Dwellings, the inspectors from the Elders’ Clan slapped various charges on the man’s head, which included malfeasance, collusion with enemies, obstruction of military orders, ruining the military’s reputation through insubordination, and even treason.

The reputation of the Qingshan Courtyard was torn to shreds. The guards of Yue ran around and visited Yuwen Yue’s friends from other families, begging them to clear his name, mobilize troops towards Yan Bei to continue their rescue operations and find him. However, no one was willing to help them, other than Yuan Che, who had suffered from a similar fate of losing the war and being despised by everyone. Even the head of the Wei family, Wei Shuye, shunned them and refused to see them.

Ultimately, even Yuan Che was exiled to the north while Yuwen Yue’s corpse was returned to Wei by Yan Bei. Although the Yuwen family had paid a huge ransom to claim his body, they expelled him from the family registry. Yuwen Muqing stood in front of the city gates as he accepted the verdict of the Elders’ Clan, whipping his son’s corpse personally, signaling his intent to sever ties with him. After Yuwen Yue’s death, he was unable to buried in the ancestral temple. His body was thrown into a mass burial site to be despised by many. His name in the military was erased as well. The female slaves of the Qingshan Courtyard were chased out as well, to be captured and sold by other slave owners. Their lives descended into turmoil as a result.

It had been a long time, but she remembered the times back then when she had gone through all this. Due to her utmost refusal to cooperate, the boss of the brothel hired two men to take her virginity forcefully. They leaned in close to her; she could remember their yellow teeth, and the pungent scent of alcohol emanating from their mouths. They were strong, with black calluses on their palms. Once they stepped into the room, they took off their pants, unable to wait further. Their pants dangled by their feet, exposing that sickly thing between their legs.

All her struggling and cries for help were to no avail. Although she had learned some martial arts from Yuwen Yue, she did it half-heartedly due to her mental state back then. Additionally, those strokes were of no use as she had been sedated. She could only look on in a daze as they ripped apart her clothes and inched closer.

To the opposite room was Lan’er from the Qingshan Courtyard; to the room behind that was the daughter of Yuwen Yue’s nanny, Zhixiao. All of their cries for help and the men’s laughter echoed around her ears. She had thought that she was numb and strong enough from all these experiences; she had thought that she had enough courage and backbone not to beg these shameless scoundrels. However, the moment when she was violated by the men, when the pain spread all over her body, she started to cry in humiliation. Like the other slaves in Qingshan Courtyard, she cried out for that man’s name.

“Yuwen Yue, save me!” She cursed at the two men, shouting repeatedly, “Young Master will avenge me! All of you will die terrible deaths!”

However, the men brushed it off casually and delivered another harsh truth to her: Yuwen Yue has died in Yan Bei. His body has been eaten by wild dogs.

That instant, she cried out, having been driven to despair. She suddenly remembered the past times, where he taught her to be literate, how to ride a horse, how to be a military strategist, and how to self-defend. Sometimes, he ordered her to sit by his side without doing anything. Regardless of her insults, he remained indifferent as he continued to sip at his wine, giving her the occasional irritated stare.