Chapter 57

Yuwen Yue was in the study with Chu Qiao when Yue Qi arrived with the news. She never probed into Yuwen Yue’s affairs, but he never hid it from her whenever she was around. She heard the verbal attacks launched on him by both the officials and the civilians outside Yao Pass.

Yue Qi revealed the accusation made against Yuwen Yue with a grim expression. Those people had accused him of monopolizing the rations meant to alleviate the crisis, of being an evil, cold-hearted official that oppressed the civilians. They cursed him as well, even going as far as to say that he would not have any descendants.

He listened on with an indifferent expression on his face, all the way until Yue Qi was no longer willing to continue. He hinted at him to continue with a stern look in his eyes.

After Yue Qi left, she did not dare to walk over to him. It was a cold afternoon that day, as the sunlight shone on his increasingly skinny face. He slumped in his chair and drank his tea quietly as if nothing had happened just now. However, Chu Qiao saw some water leaking out of that white jade cup, through a crack that had recently been formed as he held the cup in his hand.

Yes, they were dying and starving. As the calamities descended upon the civilians, driving them to despair, the other officials were carrying out their corrupt deeds. They deserved to die. However, the civilians did not know that the court had allowed this to happen knowingly. No one cared about the officials’ corruption, as the news of the crisis was purposely censored, on the grounds that other errands were to be attended to, only after the spring banquets.

Every meal that the civilians were currently having was due to Yuwen Yue’s efforts, as he sold his various assets to raise money for the food. No one imagined an arrogant person like him would lower his status and plead with the merchants in the capital in order to help the civilians survive this year of famine.

He was over-exhausted and driven to desperation, hence he resorted to binge drinking in front of the dining table, claiming that the emperor was a fatuous ruler and that the court was unruly. In addition, he branded Yuan Yang to be a fool, swearing to cut off his head that very night. He was really drunk, to the point that he had become muddle-headed.

That night, Chu Qiao personally escorted the half-drunk Yuan Che out of the mansion. However, as they stepped out of the door, the seemingly drunk seventh prince straightened his posture, his eyes no longer appearing drunk. With a sober tone, he said to her, “Go back and take care of him properly.”

Chu Qiao looked at him and remained silent. Yuan Che’s expression was cold as he continued, “Since the situation has come to this, I am powerless to do anything. If this goes on, I’ll be pitting myself against the entire upper class of Xia. We still don’t have the power to do so.” Yuan Che was calm as he spoke in a low tone.

Chu Qiao did not look at him anymore as she turned to walk away. Suddenly, Yuan Che called her name out from behind her. She turned around as he told her in a serious tone, “He’s a good man. Don’t let him down.”

Chu Qiao squinted as she opened her mouth to speak, “You too.” Her words were ambiguous. You too? What did that mean? You’re a good person too?

No. Yuan Che was fully aware of what she meant. However, she did not await his answer as she turned around, her frail figure disappearing into the distance slowly.

He’s a good man, don’t let him down.

The sky was dark, with meteors flying about. As the wind blew, he took a deep breath and seemingly smelt the scent of famine from the west.

When Chu Qiao got back to the room, the table of food had disappeared. The drunk Yuwen Yue was no longer on the bed. She walked over to the study and pushed open the door, realizing that he was sober and sitting behind his table, studying the pile of work in front of him.