Chapter 19

Hello to my ever supportive bessy LeireenMolina👋👋👋
Love yah... 😘😘😘

*******

“Yue Qi, even if our family is in a disadvantageous position, they have provided for us since we were young. However bad Wei Empire is, it is the land we used to live on. Now that they are in trouble, how could we spark another conflict in that already ravaged land?” Yue Qi was completely stunned as Yuwen Yue continued to speak, “Furthermore, I am heavily indebted to Prince Yuan Che.”

Yuwen Yue turned to leave as he finished speaking, leaving Yue Qi standing there and reflecting over what he had just said. He did not know what to feel. Subconsciously, he knew that Master was right. However, as he thought about his ordeals over the past two years, he felt a strong sense of indignity which he was unable to suppress. Was Master really indifferent towards this matter?

Of course, it mattered to Yuwen Yue.

A short laugh sounded out in the pitch-dark room. How could he not care? How could he not care about his childhood days, in which he had fought so hard to survive in rugged conditions? How could he not care about the times where he had journeyed so far away, only to be restrained? How could he not care about the time where he painstakingly broke out of hell, only to be spat on, humiliated and despised?

He could never forget, even if he died.

He was no longer willing to think about what he had just felt, and what emotions Yue Qi’s words had managed to stir within him. His heart was made of steel. Having wandered about all his life, what exactly had he wanted? To accumulate credit and be meritorious? To stand out amongst the crowd? To become a saint of power, able to command the people below him with just one word? That was a fatal temptation. To any man, it was like a drug which they would never be able to wean their addiction for.

He was not welcomed warmly despite having managed to survive the impossible. His name was universally hated; he had been abandoned by his family and country, becoming the number one public enemy of Wei. He was not a saint. How could he not feel resentful? Perhaps, what Chu Qiao said was true. He might have felt a sense of elation at the fact that Wei was crumbling in the hands of Yan Bei. He was tempted to capitalize on the fact that the political scene of Wei was unstable and chaotic, which would have allowed him the opportunity to strike out with his troops and conquer the place. He would have been able to terrorize the entire place and exact his revenge on the people who despised him. However, as he was about to make that thought a reality, he backed out at the last moment.

The impoverished civilians on the plains of Qinghai were staring fervently at him. Those were the people who had kindheartedly adopted him when he had nowhere else to go. They were all waiting for him in the hope that their lives would change for the better, that no one would succumb to the harsh conditions of wintertime.

Yes, he was unable to tell this to Yue Qi and his other subordinates who had loyally followed him. He anticipated that they would look at him with their eyes widened and ask that all-important question, “Master, are you really going to give up the chance to conquer West Meng for the ordinary civilians of Qinghai?”

Yes, they were but the descendants of prisoners who had been exiled to that land. They were but ordinary, uneducated people who did not know the meaning of life. In the past, he would have thought the same way as his subordinates, choosing to ignore these people with disdain. As a noble aristocrat himself, he was expected to aim high, instead of being hesitant and cowardly. However, along the course of life, his way of thinking had been altered. When he was looked down and shunned by the entire world, someone opened a door of warmth and let him in. Even if that door was rundown, and that the hut was dilapidated, he sat there and drank that mouthful of porridge, which he considered the warmest mouthful of porridge that he had stomached his entire life.